Options

Long time lurker, first time poster

BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
So A little about myself im a sailor that is in the process of seperating and taking orders to USS backyard. Im trying to break my way in to the security side of the house but taking little steps first.
I have my network+ exam scheduled for a month from today any good advice on how to prepare?

Edit: Err second time poster, be gentle.
Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Welcome to TE!

Going through this forum and some of the many "I passed"-threads should give you a good overview of what others use(d) to pass this exam. In any case getting a book (or two) is recommended but CBT / training videos seem to be increasingly popular for this one as well.

But the first thing you should do if you haven't yet is download the exam objective PDF from the CompTIA website and go over that to see what you know already. If you have experience or are familiar already with many topics you could even take a practice exam of a couple of dozen questions and see where you stand.

icon_arrow.gifNetwork+ study guides, practice exams and training resources
  • Options
    Webmaster wrote: »
    Welcome to TE!

Going through this forum and some of the many "I passed"-threads should give you a good overview of what others use(d) to pass this exam. In any case getting a book (or two) is recommended but CBT / training videos seem to be increasingly popular for this one as well.

But the first thing you should do if you haven't yet is download the exam objective PDF from the CompTIA website and go over that to see what you know already. If you have experience or are familiar already with many topics you could even take a practice exam of a couple of dozen questions and see where you stand.

icon_arrow.gifNetwork+ study guides, practice exams and training resources

Your awesome thank you so much!

• Options
    Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    Do your best to get some hands on experience too! Play with network cards, different interconnects, etc
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU
  • Options
    Cant unfortunately i tried to get ojt with one-net and nmci but they would let you unless your qualified.

• Options
    lwwarnerlwwarner Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    lwwarner wrote: »
    I would start with Todd Lammle's book. If you like video training you might want to checkout TrainSignal.

Amazon.com: CompTIA Network+ Study Guide: Exam N10-004 (9780470427477): Todd Lammle: Books
    CompTIA Network+ Training, N10-004 Exam, Security+ Certification | Train Signal

Welcome aboard!
    While I can't recommend a better book, I wouldn't recommend Todd's at all. It has quite a few errors in it :P I found myself checking a secondary source just to verify the smallest insignificant detail. Haha, so is it 586A or 568A? Something minor like that had confused me when I was learning from his book.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    lwwarnerlwwarner Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes, the first printing of the book had a number of 586/568 errors. Those should have been corrected in subsequent printings. Based on what I've seen at Todd's site he actively works at getting errors fixed. Overall, I have found his books to be very useful.
  • Options
    bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233
    I have to agree on using the Lammle Network+ book; invaluable resource in my opinion, and the errata in those books isn't near what some other publishers have put out (i.e. some of the Microsoft Press books). I used Lammle and Professor Messer to knock my Network+ out of the park, and the information picked up during that time has been invaluable toward my CCNA studies. Just my $.02. Good luck to you!
  • Options
    I have been using Lammle's book, I have also been using the Prof messers videos as well, I saw that allot of people were struggling with subnet masking, but his video on binary math, then subnet masking really really helped!