Cisco 3662 for CCNA study?

EquusEquus Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone,

New member here and I've been a lurker for quite some time.

I've been looking at starting my CCNA lab for studies soon and I've read up quite a lot between all the routers and switches and suggestions posted here.

My question is with regards to the 3662 router since there aren't a lot of posts on this beast. If you can get these for cheap (about $100 or so after shipping), are they good routers for lab study?

As far as I can tell they run the 12.4T line, support a massive amount of flash and memory and are extremely modular.

I was debating between them and spending the extra money on a 3745, but at twice/triple the cost, I am hard pressed to justify such an expense.

In your opinion, is the 3662 a good router to start with? I was looking at picking up 3 or so to start with and then later down the road, buy 3745's or some 2651XM's.

I've already got a full rack (albeit its a 2 post telecom one), so space is not a problem with those 5 unit 3662's.

I am also curious, what is your opinions on Tnetus.com ? I see them on ebay and they got great reviews, but has anyone ever ordered from their website?

Thanks,

Equus

Comments

• alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can get 1760's or 1721's, which also run 12.4T, for $50 or less. Unless you really need NM slots, the 1700's are the best bang for the buck right now. From what I've heard, the 3662's are pretty power hungry as well.q

If you want a router with an NM slot, to use as a Frame Relay switch for example, the non-XM 2600's can be had for $30.
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I have a 3660. It's a huge beast, but it works great for a CCNA router. I picked mine up locally for $5, though. I wouldn't pay online for it with shipping. You can get a much smaller one for less, and pay less for shipping. That's just my opinion, though.