Options

WGU MSISA Program Changes?

lwwarnerlwwarner Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
It appears that there may be some changes to the MSISA program. The program guide dated 6/6/11 (http://www.wgu.edu/wgu/prog_guide/MS_ISA.pdf) shows some new/changed courses in the course description section (pp. 7-12). However, both the chart on p. 6 of the guide and on the website (MS Info Security & Assurance Course of Study) are unchanged and do not match the descriptions.

Going by the course descriptions in the new program guide it looks like Organizational Management (JFT2) is replaced by 2 courses:

Cases in Advanced Leadership and Professionalism (LDP1)
Advanced Leadership and Professionalism Concepts (LDO1)

Hacking Countermeasures and Techniques (LOT2) is renumbered to FMT2.

And the Information Security and Assurance Capstone Project (LQT2) is split into 2 parts:

Information Security and Assurance Written Capstone Project (CAWA)
Information Security and Assurance Oral Defense of Capstone Project (CAOA)

Comments

• Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Hrm, I guess I looked at this after the change, so I didn't notice the problem, now I'm looking for inconsistencies.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    lwwarner wrote: »
    It appears that there may be some changes to the MSISA program. The program guide dated 6/6/11 (http://www.wgu.edu/wgu/prog_guide/MS_ISA.pdf) shows some new/changed courses in the course description section (pp. 7-12). However, both the chart on p. 6 of the guide and on the website (MS Info Security & Assurance Course of Study) are unchanged and do not match the descriptions.

Going by the course descriptions in the new program guide it looks like Organizational Management (JFT2) is replaced by 2 courses:

Cases in Advanced Leadership and Professionalism (LDP1)
    Advanced Leadership and Professionalism Concepts (LDO1)

Hacking Countermeasures and Techniques (LOT2) is renumbered to FMT2.

And the Information Security and Assurance Capstone Project (LQT2) is split into 2 parts:

Information Security and Assurance Written Capstone Project (CAWA)
    Information Security and Assurance Oral Defense of Capstone Project (CAOA)

I had a discussion with my Mentor about the upcoming changes about a month ago. LDO1 and LDP1 have been combined and replaced with JFT2, Wireless Security (CWSP) has been replaced with Network Fundamentals BSV2 (CCNA exam). The Capstone has been combined into a single 4 unit course but still requires completion of the project AND oral defense.

The main reason for the changes were to bring the program into alignment with the NSA requirements as well as to meet the regional accreditation standards. IMO the program is a little easier now, though not by much. The new program actually brought me 2 courses closer to graduation than if I stayed with the original MS:ISA. The program guide (PDF) is supposed to be updated in the next few weeks to reflect the program changes. For now the following link is the most up to date as I understand it:

MS Info Security & Assurance Course of Study

I'm still 8 courses from completion which should be 2 semesters. I had to take an extended break (withdrawal with special circumstance) but will be returning to the updated program shortly.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    down77:

Thanks for coming through.

I did email my mentor last night, but it is a holiday weekend right now.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    -Foxer--Foxer- Member Posts: 151
    That must be wrong, because that is how the program used to be. Down77 listed the correct classes.
  • Options
    down77 wrote: »
    LDO1 and LDP1 have been combined and replaced with JFT2, Wireless Security (CWSP) has been replaced with Network Fundamentals BSV2 (CCNA exam). The Capstone has been combined into a single 4 unit course but still requires completion of the project AND oral defense.

Those changes were made many months ago and were reflected in the 12/15/10 version of the program guide. I'm talking about the new 6/6/11 version of the guide which seems to have resurrected the old course descriptions?!

It seems WGU has very little quality control on the info they put out...

EDIT: Hmm, it seems that the WGU Indiana site still has the December version of the guide: http://indiana.wgu.edu/wgu/prog_guide/MS_ISA.pdf
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Those changes were made many months ago and were reflected in the 12/15/10 version of the program guide. I'm talking about the new 6/6/11 version of the guide which seems to have resurrected the old course descriptions?!

It seems WGU has very little quality control on the info they put out...

EDIT: Hmm, it seems that the WGU Indiana site still has the December version of the guide: http://indiana.wgu.edu/wgu/prog_guide/MS_ISA.pdf

Again I am only quoting the information from my Mentor and not from the guide. My AAP reflects the new program (Dec 2010 changes) and not the 6/6/2011 which WAS the old program. My recommendation would be to contact the University for the proper information/definitive answer.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    I understand, and thanks for sharing the info that you have.
    down77 wrote: »
    My recommendation would be to contact the University for the proper information/definitive answer.

Well, that's the problem isn't it. The Program Guide ought to be the definitive answer, but it is obviously fouled up. It is in effect the University Catalog entry for this degree program. Anyway, I have sent off a couple of emails. We'll see if they produce anything more than canned responses...
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Well, that's the problem isn't it. The Program Guide ought to be the definitive answer, but it is obviously fouled up. It is in effect the University Catalog entry for this degree program. Anyway, I have sent off a couple of emails. We'll see if they produce anything more than canned responses...

Dude, bitter ever? icon_lol.gif

The major change is the removal of the CWSP and the addition of the CCNA. If you call and talk to WGU they can clear it up for you.