Options

SY0-301 or SY0-201?

MephistoMephisto Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I want to have the security+ certificate to move forward in my IT career. I don't have any study material so far but, I don't know what exam take. The 301 objective looks more to security than the 201. Please advise.

Thank you,
Mephisto

Comments

• Options
    camaro684camaro684 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just pass the 201. I don't think an employer cares which one you have as long as you have it. They are just going to look at your resume and see that Security+ is on it. It all come down to the interview anyway.
  • Options
    camaro684 wrote: »
    I just pass the 201. I don't think an employer cares which one you have as long as you have it. They are just going to look at your resume and see that Security+ is on it. It all come down to the interview anyway.

That is true. I work in a help-desk and want to move to network security, Some of my coworkers have a BA in Art or Biology and my employer didn't care. I will go ahead and look for the 301 and look in the CompTIA page for the CompTIA Continuing Education program.

Thank you!icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    osJoeosJoe Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you haven't started studying for 201 yet then go ahead and study for and take the 301, it's not going to hurt you. Could even help you since the 301 should be more "updated" than the current exam.
  • Options
    osJoe wrote: »
    If you haven't started studying for 201 yet then go ahead and study for and take the 301, it's not going to hurt you. Could even help you since the 301 should be more "updated" than the current exam.

That is exactly what I will do.

Thank you icon_study.gif
  • Options
    osJoeosJoe Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You're welcome and good luck on your studies, feel free to let us know how the new exam goes! :)
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mephisto wrote: »
    I want to have the security+ certificate to move forward in my IT career. I don't have any study material so far but, I don't know what exam take. The 301 objective looks more to security than the 201. Please advise.

Thank you,
    Mephisto

Doesn't matter which you complete, they both say the same thing on the certificate. If you study hard, all you really need is one book and it's $10 through the Kindle store.

Darril Gibson's Security+ book is the best.