Options

Where to go from here...

EatWaveEatWave Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all!

I'm new in to certifications. I graduated 2 years ago with a Computer Science degree, but had a year of personal stuff to deal with and when I came back to look for a job a year later, I kind of fell into IT Support for experience with a vague idea of going into Security or maybe a sysad role later.

I've been working on my cert's right now and I just passed 70-680. I'm working towards 70-686 now.

So long story short, what can I use to boost my CV and put me towards a Systems position in the future?

I've heard good things about some of the CompTIA+ stuff, and I know virtualisation and cloud is quite a growing field so VM certs would be good maybe?

What would people recommend?

Thanks! icon_cheers.gif

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Security + could be an option. I wouldn't spend a ton of money or time on CompTia's but that one has value.
  • Options
    ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    For systems Cert wise I would say M$ is a good course to take if you plan to be Windows centric.

The one thing that can set a good admin apart is the ability to keep things talking and understanding how to use protocol analyzers to identify issues with why A wont talk to B. So gaining skills in this area + your Microsoft skills from your M$ certs could help you sell yourself quite well.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • Options
    Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    I'd hope a Comp Sci degree would override the need for CompTIA certs unless it's a job requirement. The Security+ exam is a good/easy boost to a resume though.

I'd look into the Windows 2008 server admin track and learn powershell.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Look for local system admin job post and see what are they looking for?
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn