Options

Not another Career thread!

kyubkyub Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ok, so I'm not an IT person as such. I have been working for a large multinational marketplace company for over 7 years (started in Customer Support initially) and have slowly moved from there into a Trainer/Lead role and then for the past 1.5 years or so I've been working in a more technical team.

Certification wise, I did some MCP courses and Lotus Domino courses in another life which were server and database administration respectively, but just assume I am a newcomer to the IT world. Trust me! :)

In my current job, I essentially work on the gateway team between Customer Support and Product Development/Site Operations/IT Incident Management and would triage all global site and tools issues. We own the service level agreements that we assign to our bug tickets and then ensure that those SLA's are met by Product Development. As well as this, I'd spend a lot of time on bridge calls with Ops and IT Incident Management so although I haven't got any certifications I've learned quite a bit over time. I have learned about our infrastructure and the many many teams responsible for it as well as having some experience with Incident Management for high impact and critical issues. All of this has given me the opportunity to get a good understanding of what's involved. I've decided on Information Security, because being honest it is the only thing that I continually come back to read up on and read about in my own time. I am very interested in pentesting and ethical hacking in particular.

I've been getting up to speed by reading a lot of Security blogs online and reading up on the many courses and certifications available. At the moment, my certification goals are the following:

Network +
Security +
Linux +
OSCP

I have also made contact with the InfoSec team at my job, and have been welcomed to have a chat with them too. I'm aware that I have a huge amount to learn and am willing to take on board any advice from you guys!

For now, I am setting up a small lab at home and have been playing around with the BackTrack 5 linux distribution to get a better understanding of the tools. As well as this, I have bought copies of the Sybex Network+, Linux+ and Security+ study guides as well as the Darril Gibson Security+ book (after readiny all of the praise on here) :)

(sorry if this post is overly wordy)

Comments