Prey Project - Open source anti-theft

arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
I came across this earlier today, and figured I'd check to see if any of you have implemented this at your company.

Open source anti-theft solution for Mac, PCs & Phones – Prey

Looks really user friendly, and I'm thinking about installing it on our machines that are used by telecommuters and the corporate iPhones & iPads (when they get it working for those).
[size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
What's left: Graduation![/size]

Comments

• ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I use it at home on my laptop. I've activated it once to see how it works, but was unsucessful in tracking my computer. Maybe I should try again sometime soon...you've reminded me and now I'm curious again icon_lol.gif
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I saw one thing I didn't really care for, apparently this won't work unless there's an account logged in, at least for the Windows version. For this to work you have to create a non administrator account and hope the hapless thief logs in with it to play around.
    Q) Will Prey still phone home if there’s no user logged in?

A) On Mac and Linux PC’s, yes, since Prey runs in the background as the root (system) user.

On Windows PC’s, Prey does require that there’s a logged in user, so we recommend creating a dummy account with no admin privileges and no password, just to lure the thief in. You can do this on Windows’ Control Panel, or even through the Prey Configurator (in Settings).

Also, I'd have to have WiFi on our desktops to use the geolocation feature.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I forgot about this. For my phones and (forecoming) tablet, this would be awesome.
  • XantchaXantcha Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I could have used this earlier. Last week a Mac Mini seemed to just disappear from one of our offices. icon_redface.gif
  • welawaywelaway Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would prefer LockItTight due to its less intrusiveness and its reliability. I am quite happy with their support services and I really find it very easy to use. so I dont need this at all