What cert first? Im new to IT.

Suburban RatSuburban Rat Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Exactly what title reads. Ive posted before and got some great responses. I need more input! Im that trucker wanting out of my truck and into an office being the computer nerd. I want to start working on a cert. Is the A+ the way to go? What do you guys think?

Comments

• ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    Starting out A+ introduces you to quite a foundation of PC repair and introduces you to some networking concepts. Looking back I regret spending the $$ on A+, but having said that it could help you land an entry-level IT support role.

The most important step is that you start studying and get as much hands on as you can through the use of labs. Install VMware player to get your feet wet and practice building VMs installing software, etc.

As you start to learn more and more you will start to understand your career goals more and more.

A typical progression for a Systems level role:
    Help Desk (A+/Net+) > T2 Support Role (MCTS) > Jr. Admin (MCITP) > Admin

You might find servers aren't your thing and could head down the networking path: Network+ > CCENT > CCNA which could help you land an Entry-level Network Operations Center (NOC) Support role.

So to sum it all up if you are really new to IT/Technology A+ material will help, but if you have a fundamental understanding of PC HW / OS's you could jump right into Network+. As the knowledge of TCP/IP and how device A talks to device B will help with any route you take.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Exactly what title reads. Ive posted before and got some great responses. I need more input! Im that trucker wanting out of my truck and into an office being the computer nerd. I want to start working on a cert. Is the A+ the way to go? What do you guys think?

Try for A+ see if you like it. Not everybody likes certifications, and not everyone needs them to advance.

One of my good friends and former co worker has 1 certification MS project and does extremely well. Brings down 140,000 or so. Just hangout for a while get A+ and make your own path.
  • cxzar20cxzar20 Member Posts: 168
    If you are going for networking just bypass your Network+ and start on your CCNA, your ROI would be much better. Be aware though, although it is an associate level certification it is still pretty advanced.
  • TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Since you do mention that you're new to IT, I suggest the A+. I didn't read your other post, but with no formal training or schooling you need to start somewhere. Without an A+/ IT degree/expierence on your resume it will probably get turned down...even for answering help desk calls.

I have a degree in IT and opted to not do the A+. My boss laughed at me when I told him I was considering it before I got my server cert. He said if ever I get turned down for not having an A+, even after looking at my expierence I probably wouldn't be happy working there anyway...it'd be too basic of a job (Don't forget your thermal paste, make sure to tighten that screw, 1 is on & 0 is off, you can pee standing up).

Slap on that A+, and then you may get a chance to prove yourself during an interview. They'll look and say "At least this guy knows the difference between Ram and a Hard drive". Without it, they'll be just taking a guess at whether or not you do.
  • Suburban RatSuburban Rat Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wonderful! Everyones input has been great. A+ on the way! Went to library today and no books on the subject. Bummer.
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wonderful! Everyones input has been great. A+ on the way! Went to library today and no books on the subject. Bummer.

I've found the same problem with my local libraries. I've been using inter-library loan to get some books they didn't have locally. It can take a few weeks to get them in but it's free.

Good luck.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • pzeropzero Member Posts: 192
    Have a look at Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, CompTIA Nework+, Microsoft Certification Training he has free training video's on A+, Network+, Security+ and Windows 7 (70-680). That should keep you occupied for hours on end without spending a cent. His material is top knotch.

Personally I use multiple sources when it comes to study.

Good luck with your studies.
    pzero wrote: »
    Have a look at Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, CompTIA Nework+, Microsoft Certification Training he has free training video's on A+, Network+, Security+ and Windows 7 (70-680). That should keep you occupied for hours on end without spending a cent. His material is top knotch.

Personally I use multiple sources when it comes to study.

Good luck with your studies.

Yeah this a nice resource. You can get your A+ and N+ if you want to go that route. I would still suggest finding a book to go along with his training. Heck if after you do A+ and you are craving more knowledge you can start on 70-680 MS Windows 7 Deployment. That would give you a lot of awesome knowledge and some super nice eye candy for your resume.

What's your address? I'll send you an A+ exam cram for the newest A+ exam and a A+ Mike Meyer book free of charge. I'll even pick up the postage.

Probably be best to instant message me the address if you wanted to go that route.

Good luck
  • Suburban RatSuburban Rat Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    To N2IT: that would be awesome. IM would be great! Jonaswinter568@yahoo. I'll take anything you got that your willing to send over.
    To N2IT: that would be awesome. IM would be great! Jonaswinter568@yahoo. I'll take anything you got that your willing to send over.

Just do it through instance message here. Yours are currently blocked.