Options

Alternatives to 2511 access server

FatbunnyFatbunny Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

Can anyone recommend an alternative to the 2511 access server. Its too expensive from what I can find (€221 on ebay). I am in Ireland so customs would be too much shipping from US.

Just looking for something cheap and cheerful. Currently looking manage 12 devices.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Check out the cyclades console server mentioned in this thread: http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccnp/56950-cisco-2511-terminal-server.html#post439411
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I use a MRV terminal server that I got pretty cheap online. Works good for me.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    FatbunnyFatbunny Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies. I can't seem to find cyclades / mrv on ebay but there are some terminal server available in the US that will ship to ireland so I might just bite the bullet and get one shipped. Even with the 35% customs add on, it might work out.

Might be able to get a NM-32A (for a little extra) locally so I will see how that goes first.
  • Options
    StrontyDogStrontyDog Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm in Ireland also and had my eye on a cyclades box a couple of weeks ago on ebay that ended up selling for 1.50 euro. I was gutted I messed up the bidding on it and missed getting it for a steal. The cyclades boxes run linux so it got me thinking I could just use my pc instead of a terminal server.

There's a guide in the link below that I came accross on how to use a usb to serial adapter on Linux to allow you to console into the switches. I am still waiting on the adaptor to arrive so I haven't tested it out myself yet. I did read somewhere else that people were having problems disconnecting intermittently when using the usb to serial adapters so you might be better off going with a quad port pci or pci express card or a couple of dual ports if you have the expansion slots available in your pc. Personally I had to go with the adaptor as I needed the slots for quad port nics.

Both options work out around the same cost at €20 - €30 delivered.

Why buy a terminal server when an old PC will do | Darren's CCIE mission

Serial to USB Quad Port

Quad Port PCI RS232 Card

You'll also need to pick up four rollover cables rs232 to rj45 which I got for €17 delivered.

I was going to use physical routers for my lab but decided in the end to go with installing ubuntu on my pc and getting some quad port nics and the usb to serial adaptor. If you are using a linux box with dynamips/gns3 for the routers and you are using physical switches the adaptor will work out nicely I hope.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Cisco 2509, 2510, 2511, and 2512 - Overview of the Cisco 2500 Series Access Server - Cisco Systems

Adding this for anyone interested in the Cisco models

If you get a 2510 or 2512, you can connect to it via console or serial port as it's quite likely you wouldn't have a token ring network. The token ring models don't usually offer much savings so I wouldn't recommend them.
  • Options
    esswokesswok Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used one of these untill I bought a AS2509-rj

PCI to 6 ports DB9 serial RS232 card adapter | eBay

It was sweet if you need to get it done quick and cheep!

the disk that came with it had drivers that did work with w7 x64