Options

70 680 Exam Type

Hey all,

I am trying to pass my 70 680 exam, have read the Sybex book and am currently reading the Poulton book. I was wondering what the actual MS Exam will be like?

I have heard it is all MC questions, and others have said it is drag and drop, fill in the blank, etc.

Also wondering if it is adaptive...meaning if I get most answers right are there less questions I have to face?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    The majority of your questions will likely be multiple choice. MS does does not use adaptive tests, but they do update their exams and they have been including more question types on the exams:

Investigating the Psychometric Performance of Our Item Types - Born to Learn
    Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue: Introducing a New Item Type on Certification Exams - Born to Learn
    Adaptive testing is a complex issue--one that most test takers don't seem to trust. Here's the deal... I can know if you are qualified or not with as few as 10 questions. Of course, it's more complicated than that--the 10 questions must be psychometrically matched to your ability level, but with a large enough item pool, the engine should be able to identify those 10 questions and determine with a small probability of error if you are qualified or not based on your answers.

Most candidates can't believe this; most say that with more items they would have demonstrated that they were qualified. Psychometrically, it has been shown repeatedly that we actually can identify unqualified candidates in a surprisingly small number of items, but the dissatisfaction resulting from this approach has actually made adaptive testing less common in the industry than you might expect.

I wouldn't worry too much about the question type. If you understand the material then you should be able to demonstrate that knowledge regardless of the format. If this is your first MS exam you should consider buying a reputable practice test, like Transceder, to introduce you to the testing experience.
  • Options
    parttimetechieparttimetechie Member Posts: 156
    So the exam will not be just MC questions like a CompTIA A+ or Net+ exam, there will be other parts to it?

About how many questions should I be prepared for on the exam?
  • Options
    Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    I took it a few weeks ago and it was 50 MC questions with most being single answer. In my opinion the test was not that difficult - if you read the Poulton book and play around some with either Ent or Ult version of Win 7 you should be ready. It was a much more straight forward test than 70-686.
  • Options
    I took it a few weeks ago and it was 50 MC questions with most being single answer. In my opinion the test was not that difficult - if you read the Poulton book and play around some with either Ent or Ult version of Win 7 you should be ready. It was a much more straight forward test than 70-686.

So it is all MC questions then? that is good news.

Did you do many of the labs? Was the Poulton book ur only reference?
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would look through the exam objectives and make you you both understand and can do what they are asking. It helps to be able to run through a procedure in your mind while thinking about the questions.
    Mine was multiple choice, but MS can always add drag n drop, or sims if they wanted.
  • Options
    rmaster1rmaster1 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□

I took the 70-680 on June 29th and had 65 questions. Most of them were multiple choice, with about 4-5 multi-choice (choose 2 or more), and 4-5 simulations where you place the steps in order. All of the question types were grouped together rather than spread throughout the test. I used the Poulton book mainly and the Transcender practice tests with a little labbing and passed on the first try. Good luck!
  • Options
    gravyjoegravyjoe Member Posts: 260
    While we're on the subject, does anyone know if they have any "choose all that apply" questions?
    The biggest risk in life is not taking one.
  • Options
    rmaster1rmaster1 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    gravyjoe wrote: »
    While we're on the subject, does anyone know if they have any "choose all that apply" questions?

Yes, I had 4-5 multi-choice questions. "Given the situation, choose one or more answers from A-H..."
  • Options
    pzeropzero Member Posts: 192
    From memory I dont remember the "choose all that apply" questions, it was usually "choose 3 correct answers" or "choose 4 correct answers" etc. for the mega multi choice questions.
  • Options
    So it sounds as if the questions are made up at random, one test could be all MC for a candidate while another could be some MC and then some place in order? That sucks, why is it not always a standardized test?