Options

Need HelpnAdvise for MCITP server admin 2008

SindhiSindhi Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello Guys.
I am new to this forum and new in certification world. I am going to do MCITP server admin 2008 And as you guys know my 1st hurdle is 70-640. I have bought this online from a third party and online course provider is element K.
I need advise on how long it will take if i give 2 full months thats about 25hrs a week
and- does any one had experience with above online course, will that be enough to pass
any suggestion for me, please let me know.

many thanks

Sindh

Comments

• Options
    pzeropzero Member Posts: 192
    Hi Sindhi and welcome!

I have been studying this exam for about 2 months now (about 15-20 hours a week) and plan on sitting it next week. It really comes down to how much real world experience you already have about the technologies, how quickly you can pick things up and how quick you learn.

There is no right or wrong way, its just whatever works best for you. Personally im not familiar with the Element K stuff so I cant comment on it, but I have been using multiple sources for studying.

Check the "sticky" in this forum, it has a great list of resources you can use (technet being an excellent resource).

Good luck.
  • Options
    LAN_GuruLAN_Guru Member Posts: 119
    I am not familiar with Element K so I can not speak of the format. I do know that I don't do well watching PowerPoint slides for hour after hour and listening to a trainer with a monotone voice babble.

Read the resource list as the other user stated. If you get the Microsoft Press 70-640 book, wait a week and get the 2nd Edition which will be available on July 15th. The 2nd Edition books have been updated with the R2 content so you don't have to study a separate R2 book.

Setup a machine for doing labs. A quad-core cpu that has hardware virtualization and 64-bit should be at the top of your list. A name-brand motherboard with good driver support is important. Supermicro, Intel, Asus, and Tyan have new inexpensive LGA1155 server system boards That you can use an E3-12xx or some of the 2nd Generation Core-i(x) processors. Server system boards support server operating systems such as 2008 R2. That being said, most Windows 7 x64 drivers will work in 2008 R2 though are not supported.

The object is to learn and understand technical concepts. You need to understand WHY a box is checked or not checked on a page of settings, not just the fact that it is checked or not. Study the book. PAY ATTENTION TO ALL COMMAND LINE TOPICS AND EXAMPLES!! (I got hammered with command-line questions on 70-642 exam). Write down the answers to the the review questions at the end of each section and chapter and check the answers in the appendix at the back of the book. If you miss one, go back and review it right then. Make sure you understand why your incorrect answer is incorrect and why the correct answer is correct before you move on to the next section. Do the labs. Then do the labs again. Then do them again if you need to in order to understand why you are doing each step you are doing. It seems that the Microsoft book tells you to do a simulated exam at the end of each chapter. I did that at the end of the first chapter and the sim had questions from several chapters I hadn't studied yet so I waited until after finishing the book before doing more exam sims. Take a sim in study-mode. Answer each question, then click the button to see the correct answer. If you miss one, review the answer right then until you understand why your answer is wrong and why the correct answer is correct before you move on to the next question. Do not change your incorrect answers though! That way, at the end of the test you can get an estimate of what you would have scored and which areas you are weak on. Go back and study the sections or entire chapters for your weak areas again. Then take an exam sim in timed exam mode.

Your mileage may vary but that is what works for me...
    9/1 - Citrix A18 :study:
    9/20 - Citrix A19, 10/4 - Citrix A24, 10/18 - Citrix A08, 11/1 - Citrix A15, 11/17 - Cisco 640-802, 12/1 - Cisco 642-813, 12/15 - Cisco 642-902, 12/30 - Cisco 642-832
  • Options
    SindhiSindhi Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you pzero and Guru.
    Element K is providing Microsoft's publication with simulation and interaction and labs but its does not starts from basics, book is more precise and starts from installing AD etc.
    -Does any one have experience with Microsoft's online courses?
    -Though i have Computer degree but win 2008 ser admin is very new to me and i dont know anything about it at all.
    -Yea this course does sometime look hard to grasp because its made to deliever regardless of listener.
    - I have bought an iphone version of Measureups for this course as well, Will that help?

Thank you again

Sindhi
  • Options
    tru504187211tru504187211 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sindhi,

It sounds like you were educated in the theory of CS, but now you should use the MS Press book (and ALL of the excercises) to get familiar with a specific tool (Server 200icon_cool.gif.

Topics can be difficult at times, but if a particular topic is difficult, then go out to wikipedia or some other site to get a general understanding of that topic...then, see how the book explains Server2008's implementation of that tool.

There is NO substitute for experience...so experience it in your lab at least! :)