Options

Linux Desktop OR Windows XP

lockestrifelockestrife Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys, I had a problem.... I have a choose between Linux or Xp icon_confused.gif

Which is the better one?

1. Linux desktop

2. Windows Xp

Please give any comments about this this topic.. thanks..

Lockestrife

Comments

• Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ask a *nix guru ...... Linux

Ask a MCP ...... XP

Ask me ..... take your pick. Me, no matter what they say about MS I love my XP system and find it very fast and stable. *nix is super fast if you don't have all the bells and whistles, but once you load it up I goes sluggish IMHO.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    Hi Guys, I had a problem.... I have a choose between Linux or Xp icon_confused.gif

Which is the better one?

1. Linux desktop

2. Windows Xp

Please give any comments about this this topic.. thanks..

Lockestrife

How about a dual boot PC....or loading XP then VMWare...and running linux through it....just a thought..
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    If you don't want much hassle, and just depending on your hardware, I would choose XP for simplicity. It's also a nice OS, actually.

If you want to learn a lot and don't mind quite a bit of reading, install one of the distros of Linux.
  • Options
    HackNackHackNack Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm currently Running Ubuntu Linux (fastest growing distro currently) on one of my machines. It has quite a lot of bells and whistles and is easier to run than other distros.
  • Options
    NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How about a dual boot PC....or loading XP then VMWare...and running linux through it....just a thought..

This is the way I'm doing it right now. I'm running Microsoft Virtual PC though instead of VMWare. I did have to add more memory to my system to run multiple operating systems at the same time.
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I wish I could get a wireless card to work in Slackware. Then I would be happy. icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    /usr wrote:
    I wish I could get a wireless card to work in Slackware. Then I would be happy. icon_cry.gif

What kind of card do you have?
    i remain, he who remains to be....