Options

Peculiar terminal server issue

arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm scratching my head over this one, and I'd like to see if any of you have an idea what's going on. I've got a Windows Server 2008 (non-R2) server set up as a Terminal Services Gateway Server, and I've got it set up to allow access to a Windows Server 2003 32 bit terminal server. The terminal server has 4 GB of RAM on it, and dual Xeon 5140 CPUs.

We usually have about 20 - 25 users logged in working, and most of them don't have a problem. However, occasionally two offices will simultaneously lose connection. They can reconnect, but it apparently happens so often that they really raised a huge stink over it at a joint meeting last week. The problem is that I haven't found any issues on my end (nothing in the logs), and you would think it would kick other users out too but people from some other offices say they never have an issue with it. I've tried working with some of the IT people at the other offices, but have ended up in a Mexican standoff with them every time.

Have any of you run into anything like this? We've finally gotten clearance to install 2008 R2 on our terminal servers (insurance software didn't support it until recently), but I'm not sure that's going to resolve the issue.
[size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
What's left: Graduation![/size]

Comments

• Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    I know these are kind of broad, but worth looking into and seeing if there is something in common or that throws up a flag:

-Firewall Configurations...any differences?
    -Firewall firmware updates?
    -OS of the clients that disconnect vs ones that don't
    -Same with the RDP client versions
    -Server updated 100%
    -Session limits? Disconnect if the user is idle for a length of time?
    -ISP's?

If you need to buy time to get them to let you do your job you can always blame it on the internet...it's not a 100% uptime. There isn't a button that you can set to randomly disconnect a user.