A+, Network+, And then...

winner9909winner9909 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am hoping to get into the IT field soon. I have been applying for jobs and have obtained both my A+, and Network+ Certifications now. I was wondering which certification should I work on next? I would like to some day be doing networking. Would Cisco be the next logical certification to obtain or should i work on a Microsoft one?

Comments

• alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What do you want to do? Do you want to work in Microsoft or do you want to work in Cisco?

Security+ is another option.
  • winner9909winner9909 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Id like to work in networking.
  • nhan.ngnhan.ng Member Posts: 184
    then you need to find an entry level tech support/helpdesk job. Going after more certifications will not help you at this point. Now it's time for you to get your hand dirty. After you gain some experience, then you can go after certification such as CCNA. With this, it'll be easier for you to land a networking job :)
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would build up your work experience firstly. I would recommend going on Cisco route if you plan to be in networking as a Network Engineer.
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • winner9909winner9909 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Security+ covers some basic security concepts as far as hashing, bit lengths, common algorithms, and terminology. Which is worth while knowledge for a network admin/engineer especially is IPSec VPN/network security starts coming into the role. (Kind of like a precursor)

However like others have mentioned definitely get the real world experience. The certification only means so much if you can't backup the skills. Whether it be a help desk or desktop support think of each position as stepping stone to something bigger and better in the future.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • nhan.ngnhan.ng Member Posts: 184
    gotta pay your due. Without experience it'll be very difficult to get a network job. My co has CCNA cert and it took him about a year to land a job :)
  • Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    nhan.ng wrote: »
    gotta pay your due. Without experience it'll be very difficult to get a network job.

Everyone should do their time in the trenches, teaches you quite a bit more than you would think. You could always see if there is a Cisco Network Academy in your area. That is not only a great place to learn, but a great place to network.
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would get a job like a lot of people have eluded too and then work on your CCENT while you apply.

Burn the candle from both ends.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i say Security+
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    I would actually go for the CCNA before/while/after landing your first job
    CCNA will help you land a more networking job than A+ and N+ alone
    even if its the most basic stuff, still will be better (usually)
    meh
  • kingslayerkingslayer Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    At this stage I would recommend you find a support role, you have a solid background from your certs but now you need to gain experience and soft skills that you cant find in a book.

After 6 months or so (assuming your role exposes you to different aspects of IT) you may actually find that your original 'career path' no longer interests you and you would like to pursue another branch of IT.

That's what happened to me anyway.
    2011 Goals: 70-433 | 70-432
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Check out indeed.com to help you out with finding a job.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • smorgan09smorgan09 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CCNA is a highly recognised and sought after networking qualification worldwide. I work for Firebrand Training, provider of accelerated professional classroom based IT and networking courses. We currently deliver 5 day CCNA training. If you don't pass the first time, you can train with us again for free. You can contact us, if you would like to further discuss your career options.

-Sarah
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Work on CCNA, but your priority is to find a job now. Try volunteering or part time jobs, anything, just get some hands on while studying for CCNA. It opens some doors but nothing will grant you a job immediately. you need to break into the industry and thats the difficult part.

Have you thought about Linux+ ?
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com