Options

Need some Advice

Handro1313Handro1313 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, I'm Currently a year away from having my BS in CIS with a focus in programming. I've been going to school for about 4 years and have taking about every class to take certifications, but I really think I want to get in the business analyst or QA. I just now going to take my A+ this week. I just wondering if anyone has any advice as what I need to do to break in to the field. I do have 5 years of sales and customer service (mostly call center.) I've been repairing and building computers for a while in my spare time and decent in C++ and Visual basic. I can build and manage databases mostly just worked with access. Any advice would help

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    nhan.ngnhan.ng Member Posts: 184
  • Options
    Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    With that kind of background I don't think you'll find it too hard to bounce into an analyst position.

I'd actually shoot a bit higher though if I were you. Since you'll have a CIS degree on your resume, maybe focus on something like System Engineering or something close to that type of field.

Sure you may have to work harder on getting more than just an A+ certification, but one thing I've noticed for SysAdmin and SysEngineer positions and they're looking for plenty of people who are knowledgable in intermediate scripting and programming. Since you already have some DBA experience (I'm assuming maybe with SQL) then that's a huge leg up on that sort of position.

That's actually my eventual end goal, my current position has me working with SQL in a DBA type of role all day long and it's already helped get me some interviews for System Engineer jobs here lately without a degree, just the kind of things you can shoot for I guess.

Otherwise, if you do want to a business analyst then you're definitely on the right track, I don't even think you'll need much in the way of certifications once you get your degree to snag that position.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • Options
    Handro1313Handro1313 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the Advice. I would Intern, but I work in Sales for At&t right Now making Money, which I don't mind taking a pay cut to get into my field. Trust me, I have looked at job with-in my company, but its hard to move from my position without my degree.

I am looking at getting better Certifications, but I Just going to start from the bottom and work my way up taking them.

Does anyone know of a good Website that shows how a IT resume should look?
  • Options
    Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You could try the job/degree board here.

Post what you have right now as your resume and I'm sure someone will gladly offer up some constructive criticism.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come