Options

Chasing CCIE written

Comments

• Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Well, yes, you still need serial interfaces. None of the routers come with any by default, save some models of 2500. That's why you've got to do some work ahead of time. Basically, for all of the routers except one, you need two serial interfaces per router at a minimum. Whether you accomplish this through WIC-1T's, or through NM-4A/S or NM-8A/S or any other combination is up to you (if it's cheaper to buy an NM-4A/S than two WIC-1T's, for example, you might as well buy the NM.... it's no big deal to have too many serial interfaces, but it's a very big deal to not have enough).

I feel that I need to amend this, as I'd forgotten something, and it came back to bite me on the ass tonight.

Using NM-4A/S's may end up being cheaper than using WIC-1T's, but they're only 128kbit interfaces, as opposed to the 1.544mbits of the WIC-1T's. This can seriously screw with you when doing OSPF labs involving cost if you don't account for it.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    Its true that his students went thru INE since i google his lists of students at the website and their names came up in the INE website.

All the big providers scrape the CCIE pass lists regularly, they will add you to their success banner even if you only bought one small CCIE related product from them at some point. E.g. I'd credit INE with providing the vast majority of my training and they were the provider I wrote to with my own endorsement but there are 2 other providers (one I bought a lab workbook from, the other 1 or 2 online rack rentals) that added me to their lists without permission or notification. If you really want to evaluate based on the lists look for those that have comments from the actual candidates.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ahriakin wrote: »
    All the big providers scrape the CCIE pass lists regularly, they will add you to their success banner even if you only bought one small CCIE related product from them at some point. E.g. I'd credit INE with providing the vast majority of my training and they were the provider I wrote to with my own endorsement but there are 2 other providers (one I bought a lab workbook from, the other 1 or 2 online rack rentals) that added me to their lists without permission or notification. If you really want to evaluate based on the lists look for those that have comments from the actual candidates.

So basically it's all smoke and mirrors guys. Buyer beware.
  • Options
    PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    Your budget looks good I think. I'd just like to add that a while ago I had a very pleasant chat with a IPX account manager, and he got me a really good deal on their end-to-end solution. If you'd like, I can forward you his details in case you are curious.

Cheers,
    Fin
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□

I went to a training center for some of my earlier cisco training and their career placement dept (which seemed like it had a new career placement rep every week due to turnover) took credit for finding me a job. They did no such thing. I went to the company myself and got the job. I had a friend who interned at the school when the program was over and he sent me a cell phone picture of my student picture with a comment beneath it indicating that they placed me at so and so. The picture was located in the hallway leading to the sales offices. That was really shady if you ask me.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    yah It kinda makes sense. They need to advertise those names for their business. I really dont know if that helped them or not.
  • Options
    I have IPexpert CCIE RS WB and INE VOD. The quality of these tools are amazing. Also, Im half way my “Cisco Press CCIE Routing and Switching Exam Cert Guide 4th Edition”. My plan is to watch all the INE VOD, buy all my CCIE home lab gear and built it before I take the CCIE Written exam. Also, I have been listening to CCIE audio tutorial. It helps when your driving to work or back home.
  • Options
    Show 53 – CCIE Lab Preparation Tips – Persistence Pays Off

My friend send me this. I just want to share it with you guys. I saw Daniel at the comments. lol
  • Options
    reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
    I am everywhere. I'm in your routers, switches, console servers, you name it. LOL :)
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    hahaha! Me as well...

I just took a 10k loan. Its that serious!!!
    I'm going to buy Narbik's bootcamp around December. I think I saw them lowering their price on that month.
  • Options
    I'm thinking about going sometime around November. Need to get everything setup with my new employer first. Would be cool if we could go at the same time.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    I don't think ill be ready by november. I think I will only be ready for the ccie written that month. I will take the bootcamp mid next year. The foundation 4.0 will keep me busy. I hae to make sure I got that down before I go to the bootcamp. Also, I need to list my weakness since that's what his going to ask.
  • Options
    Does anybody know where to get a cheap 3560 for a home lab? I saw it going for $600 in ebay. Is that a good price? help please?
    im looking at this one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/CISCO-WS-C3560-48TS-S-Catalyst-Switch-3560-48-QTY-Avail-/370532619766?pt=COMP_EN_Hubs&hash=item56457715f6
  • Options
    Does anybody know where to get a cheap 3560 for a home lab? I saw it going for $600 in ebay. Is that a good price? help please?
    im looking at this one:
    CISCO WS-C3560-48TS-S Catalyst Switch 3560-48 QTY Avail | eBay

I haven't had much luck on Craigs list overall, but I did find a guy selling 2x3560s for $500, but they were already sold. Let me know if you find a good supplier and I will do the same.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    I haven't had much luck on Craigs list overall, but I did find a guy selling 2x3560s for $500, but they were already sold. Let me know if you find a good supplier and I will do the same.
    Yah. I didn't see anything at craiglist. all of the are in ebay. I'm trying to low ball to save more $$$. I could use my 3550's but I want my own full home lab so I dont need to ever rent racks.
  • Options
    Yah. I didn't see anything at craiglist. all of the are in ebay. I'm trying to low ball to save more $$$. I could use my 3550's but I want my own full home lab so I dont need to ever rent racks.

I'm trying to do that same thing. The rentals aren't bad, but you obviously have to structure your schedule around the rental rack provider's availability.
  • Options
    I'm trying to do that same thing. The rentals aren't bad, but you obviously have to structure your schedule around the rental rack provider's availability.
    yah i dont think i have time for that. I have scheduling myself to the rental rack. Ive seen it in gigavelocity and its just a crazy schedule for me.
  • Options
    I just paid $2,995 for Narbik bootcamp. I cant wait to get narbik's WB.

Also, does anybody know where to download (Catalyst 3560 Series switches running IOS version 12.2 – Advanced IP Services) ?

I downloaded the :
    c3560-ipservicesk9-mz.122-55.SE3

but it says on the lab blueprint that:
    Catalyst 3560 Series switches running IOS version 12.2 – Advanced IP Services

Where can i download that? ive been looking for it at cisco DL for two days. please help!
  • Options
    I don't think they have advanced IP services any longer. As far as I know it's LAN base, IP base and IP services where IP services is the full version. If you really want the advanced IP services look at older releases.

There is c3560-advipservicesk9-mz.122-25.SEE4.bin available.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    Oic. I wonder if there;s a big difference?

I couldnt find c3560-advipservicesk9-mz.122-25.SEE4.bin in cisco website.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You could check the feature navigator.

Cisco Feature Navigator - Cisco Systems

They are both on there.
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I just paid $2,995 for Narbik bootcamp. I cant wait to get narbik's WB.

Also, does anybody know where to download (Catalyst 3560 Series switches running IOS version 12.2 – Advanced IP Services) ?

I downloaded the :
    c3560-ipservicesk9-mz.122-55.SE3

but it says on the lab blueprint that:
    Catalyst 3560 Series switches running IOS version 12.2 – Advanced IP Services

Where can i download that? ive been looking for it at cisco DL for two days. please help!

intitle:"index.of" (bin) c3560

Try this in google if you still haven't found what you're looking for.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I found it. For some reason i cant find it from the download section but if I enter the whole file name in search, it shows up. weird!
  • Options
    Do you guys add your research hours on preparing the lab + bootcamps and CCIE misc into your ccie hrs preparation time?

Just wondering. I didnt add mine but i probably have spent TONS of hours researching stuff. ggrrrr
  • Options
    Most often not. However all my hours for lab study is not just labs. It's also reading and doing notes revision etc. I have sometimes added hours if I've done an extensive effort with Dynamips or stuff like that. While not gaining any actual skills by it, it was still necessary at the time for me to start labbing.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Do you guys add your research hours on preparing the lab + bootcamps and CCIE misc into your ccie hrs preparation time?

Just wondering. I didnt add mine but i probably have spent TONS of hours researching stuff. ggrrrr

Nah. For my labtime counter I add the hours I spend configuring. If I buy a five hour slot but only have time to use three hours I log three hours. Keeps me honest. A lot of my booked racktime gets wasted as I may only have an hour or two available to do any work.

My reading counter is reading time and practice tests.
  • Options
    Thanks guys.

I just received my Narbik Workbook. I can't wait to lab tonight! Wohooooo!
  • Options
    I just got out from ascolta cisco conference in glendale cali. Pretty cool guys! Scott meyer and josh both ccie voice were talking. I think I'm gona come back next time they do ccie rs presentation. Its amazing to listen to these guys and all the people that were there.
  • Options
    Sounds like fun. I wish there were Cisco user groups and meetings over here but we're a small country. Maybe I should try to set something up later, that would be cool :)
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    Ya man. I feel like I want to read even more and learn even more. I feel like they fuel my fire. They are in a different level. I look up to these guys. I wish I can be like them in the future. They said they will do another one next month. Probably, Wireless, IPV6 or MPLS VPN.

They also mentioned that the world is changing and companies want hybrid engineers with RS + voice + sec + virtualization + wireless. pretty much learn everything. lol