Chasing CCIE written

Comments

• Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Done building a new computer right now.

16gb memory
    2tb hdd
    3.7ghz = 6 cores

I am currently installing ubuntu in VMware in my new computer.

This computer is fast!

I also bought 3560 today. Im still bidding for 1 more 3560.
  • Options
    reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
    Looks like a sweet setup. You should be able to run a ton of routers on that. Tell me if you need any help with Dynamips.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    reaper81 wrote: »
    Looks like a sweet setup. You should be able to run a ton of routers on that. Tell me if you need any help with Dynamips.

Here's a screenshot of my set up. GNS3 in Ubuntu under VM. Primary OS is Win7 for browsing, Narbik WB and CCIE PDF files.

I tested it yesterday and the max i can get is only 2.49gb Memory. I was running videos, transferring files and installing files. Its crazy!

I might take you up on an offer about the GNS3 set up. Im trying to figure out how Ubuntu sees the hardware that I connect in the USB,
  • Options
    Everything finally came. I installed the rack and 4 of my switches today. Started at 10pm and ended at 1am since i had to clean the living room after all the mess.
    IMG00178-20110826-2345.jpg

IMG00180-20110827-0022.jpg

IMG00182-20110827-0023.jpg

Lots of Narbik labbing tomorrow!!!
    Goodnight!
  • Options
    Here are some better pics. Phone camera sucks!

IMG_3954.jpg

IMG_3956.jpg
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Looking good. That thing is going to be packed once the rest of the gear is in.
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    I like the gear! I love the 3560s and if I didn't have access to play with some 3750Xs my one credit card would probably be maxed trying to pick up a few.

How much have you spent on gear so far (total)?
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    Looking good. That thing is going to be packed once the rest of the gear is in.
    Im hoping getting away from the routers if I get my GNS3 perfectly working. lol
  • Options
    down77 wrote: »
    I like the gear! I love the 3560s and if I didn't have access to play with some 3750Xs my one credit card would probably be maxed trying to pick up a few.

How much have you spent on gear so far (total)?
    I have 3750 at work but its better to have at home where nobody will bug me.

The total expenses as of right now:
    Kim's Ninja Way to CCIE CCIE Expenses

I built an expensive desktop to support my GNS3 and my old desktop was from 2005. lol

If I dont get the GNS3 working then I will end up buying the real routers and probably extending my rack. I saw on the installation that I can extend the upper part.

As of right now, I am concentrating on my written. I will fix that GNS3 problem as soon as I get done with the written. I think I already did most of the things that I can be done to prepare for the home lab. I didnt want to do all of this after i passed the written or else it would stressed me out.
  • Options
    I posted the same problem at 7200emu.

Maybe someone in here can help me.

Im having problems with my GNS3 in Ubuntu under VMplayer. I am trying to create a CCIE lab.
    Maybe someone can tell me what am I doing wrong here?

ubuntuIssuesetup.jpg

I am trying to do is use the following IOS for my routers:
    According to CCIE lab blueprint:
    1841 series routers – IOS 12.4(T) – Advanced Enterprise Services
    3825 series routers – IOS 12.4(T) – Advanced Enterprise Services

Here are the screenshots of my IOS
    ubuntuIssue2.jpg
    Are these the right IOS for CCIE lab?

Here are the routers point to my IOS's
    ubuntuIssue2.jpg

ubuntuIssue4.jpg

This pops up when I drag the router
    ubuntuIssue5.jpg

The routers goes green but when I enter, the console doesnt do anything even though I wait for more than 10mins

ubuntuIssue7.jpg

ubuntuIssue6.jpg

Can someone please help me?
  • Options
    reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
    I'm not sure 15.x is supported in Dynamips. 12.4T is the version that is used for the CCIE lab. I'm using 12.4(15)T10 but any 12.4T version will do. Try that out and see if it works for you.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    ipSpaceipSpace Member Posts: 147
    On your blog or here, i do not see the Quad NICs you have bought.
    Can you please tell us from where you have bought the Quad NICs and which brand?

My Network & Security Blog with a focus on Fortigate. New post on how to create a fortigate ssl vpn.
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I'm pretty sure I know why this isn't working. It's all about your IOS images! Two problems, actually:
    1. Under IOS Images and Hypervisors in GNS3, you are telling GNS3 that your 1841 image is a 1710 image and your 3825 image is a 3725 image. Do you see the option to change what GNS3 sees the image as under "IOS Images and Hypervisors"?
    2. I wouldn't recommend using either of these IOS versions. Try getting as close to the IOS images used in the CCIE lab as possible. What reaper said will work well in GNS3/dynamips.

Don't give up, once you get it working you are golden. You might even want to consider ditching GNS3 for dynamips. You may get more useful error messages starting your routers from the dynamips console (not sure, but it's worth a shot if you're still stuck after chaning your IOS images).
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    reaper81 wrote: »
    I'm not sure 15.x is supported in Dynamips. 12.4T is the version that is used for the CCIE lab. I'm using 12.4(15)T10 but any 12.4T version will do. Try that out and see if it works for you.
    I emailed you. I hope you reply. lol
  • Options
    On your blog or here, i do not see the Quad NICs you have bought.
    Can you please tell us from where you have bought the Quad NICs and which brand?
    No need for Quad NIC's. I am using USB.
  • Options
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    No need for Quad NIC's. I am using USB.

Can you please give me more details on the solution ?
    How are you going to make the connections between the routers in Dynamips/GNS3 and the switches ?

My Network & Security Blog with a focus on Fortigate. New post on how to create a fortigate ssl vpn.
  • Options
    ehnde wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I know why this isn't working. It's all about your IOS images! Two problems, actually:
    1. Under IOS Images and Hypervisors in GNS3, you are telling GNS3 that your 1841 image is a 1710 image and your 3825 image is a 3725 image. Do you see the option to change what GNS3 sees the image as under "IOS Images and Hypervisors"?
    2. I wouldn't recommend using either of these IOS versions. Try getting as close to the IOS images used in the CCIE lab as possible. What reaper said will work well in GNS3/dynamips.

Don't give up, once you get it working you are golden. You might even want to consider ditching GNS3 for dynamips. You may get more useful error messages starting your routers from the dynamips console (not sure, but it's worth a shot if you're still stuck after chaning your IOS images).

I will look into that when I get home.

Isnt dynamips the backend of the GNS3? I thought i have dynamips.

thanks!
  • Options
    Can you please give me more details on the solution ?
    How are you going to make the connections between the routers in Dynamips/GNS3 and the switches ?
    same concept to this
    7200emu.hacki.at :: View topic - HOWTO windows : dynamips + dynagen on USB drive

and look at bowler vids in youtube. He showed it on how to in winXP. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Yessir, GNS3 is nothing more than a GUI for dynamips. If you are consistently using the same topology, like INE's CCIE R&S topology, you can use their .net files with dynamips/dynagen. There is less overhead, but as much power as you have in the machine you are using I don't know if it really matters.

http://www.ine.com/downloads/internetwork.expert.topologies.zip
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    ehnde wrote: »
    Yessir, GNS3 is nothing more than a GUI for dynamips. If you are consistently using the same topology, like INE's CCIE R&S topology, you can use their .net files with dynamips/dynagen. There is less overhead, but as much power as you have in the machine you are using I don't know if it really matters.

http://www.ine.com/downloads/internetwork.expert.topologies.zip
    Yah I have dynamips so Im guessing the issue I have is the IOS. Ill have to try it on the weekends. I have my written on Friday. I have to concentrate on the written. Juggling preparing written and preparing the lab equipment doesnt go.

Thanks for all the help. I will be posting my results. lol

My issue about the IOS is I cant find the correct IOS for GNS3 in Cisco. Im going have to find it somewhere else.
  • Options
    stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have 3750 at work but its better to have at home where nobody will bug me.

The total expenses as of right now:
    Kim's Ninja Way to CCIE CCIE Expenses

I built an expensive desktop to support my GNS3 and my old desktop was from 2005. lol

If I dont get the GNS3 working then I will end up buying the real routers and probably extending my rack. I saw on the installation that I can extend the upper part.

As of right now, I am concentrating on my written. I will fix that GNS3 problem as soon as I get done with the written. I think I already did most of the things that I can be done to prepare for the home lab. I didnt want to do all of this after i passed the written or else it would stressed me out.

Yea I imagined the expenses be around that mark, wonder if it's any higher or lower for the CCIE: Voice exam? There's a lot of spam comments on that blog post lol
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • Options
    stlsmoore wrote: »
    Yea I imagined the expenses be around that mark, wonder if it's any higher or lower for the CCIE: Voice exam? There's a lot of spam comments on that blog post lol
    I believe CCIE voice is higher. You need Enhanced switches and voip. The E switches cost twice as the standard. Lots of them are fighting in ebay. lol

I have to clean all those spam but I rather spend the time on something else.
  • Options
    same concept to this
    7200emu.hacki.at :: View topic - HOWTO windows : dynamips + dynagen on USB drive

and look at bowler vids in youtube. He showed it on how to in winXP. icon_thumright.gif

Hi Ninja ;)

I still do not understand the concept.

I have 2 questions:
    1. Are you using real routers? (if so why use GNS3)
    2. If you are not using real routers, how are you going to add router1 to VLAN1, router2 to VLAN 2 etc

If you have time maybe you can give me a more detailed information, because i was planning on buying 3 quad NICs as the guy from this website Build your own CCIE rack Building a rack

• Options
    Hi Ninja ;)

I still do not understand the concept.

I have 2 questions:
    1. Are you using real routers? (if so why use GNS3)
    2. If you are not using real routers, how are you going to add router1 to VLAN1, router2 to VLAN 2 etc

If you have time maybe you can give me a more detailed information, because i was planning on buying 3 quad NICs as the guy from this website Build your own CCIE rack Building a rack
    1. no. i am using gns3 for my routers
    2. youtube bowler and he will show you how to add the real switches to the gns3
  • Options
    Routers are working. Bowler and one of my friend helped me out big time!!! wohooooooo!
  • Options
    tim100tim100 Member Posts: 162
    Why not just go strictly with dynamips and dynagen? GNS3 can sometimes cause complications where you'll find that you will be spending more time on fixing issues instead of labbing.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    tim100 wrote: »
    Why not just go strictly with dynamips and dynagen? GNS3 can sometimes cause complications where you'll find that you will be spending more time on fixing issues instead of labbing.

I dont speak from experience here but I think you are probably correct Tim. Before GNS3 came out dynamips was all there was unless you had IOU access. Dynamips causes complications too of course but I think the 'ease' factor of GNS has lulled people into having problems they hadn't bargained for.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    tim100 wrote: »

Yup, and this is one of the main reasons why I like real equipment.

The experience of troubleshooting systems and services is valuable, of course, but it can detract from what you're really studying for.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I, personally, find Dynamips/Dynagen easier than setting up GNS3. Its one less installation and resource usage that I have to deal with and possible cause of issues. Dynamips/Dynagen have their own quarks that are enough to deal with but very simple once you get the hang of it. Ubuntu and Dynamips/Dynagen in my lab running on ESXi. Eventually I'll move it to my desktop machine which I have with 3 quad HP A5506-60102's.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I believe CCIE voice is higher. You need Enhanced switches and voip. The E switches cost twice as the standard. Lots of them are fighting in ebay. lol

I have to clean all those spam but I rather spend the time on something else.

You're going to need EMI images for your switches eventually as well. Look at INE's IOS versions they have for their switches. It's EMI.

http://www.ine.com/topology.htm

CCIE voice is significantly higher.