Options

Chasing CCIE written

Comments

• Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Thanks guys. I passed the ccie written today. Its not so much since I know the real challenge is the lab but I can finally full speed to labbing with narbiks wb. I should be labbing right now but I'm at the hospital with my aunt. I feel the pressure after passing the written. It feels like someones telling me that I should be labbing right now.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! Was it easier/harder than you thought it was going to be? I hope your aunt is okay.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    It was average. Its a refresh from ccnp and ccip. The real challenge is the ccie lab. Ty
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    It was average. Its a refresh from ccnp and ccip. The real challenge is the ccie lab. Ty

Good job. Now get that lab hours counter up and take the pain. 1000 hours!
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Congrats man!!!

Have fun labbing icon_smile.gif !!
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    SteveO86 wrote: »
    Congrats man!!!

Have fun labbing icon_smile.gif !!

lab, lab, lab..early in the morning before work..during work juggling to make your deadlines..after work evenings and weekends..

Get your g/f, wife kids on board.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    Good job. Now get that lab hours counter up and take the pain. 1000 hours!
    yeah. Thinking about it is stressing me out. Im sure going to lab tonight! I need over 1000hours. Probably 1600 hours or more. icon_thumright.gif

My gf is already complaining about the study time in written. I told her the lab hours will be tougher.

thanks guys.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□

gotcha. well congrats
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    yeah. Thinking about it is stressing me out. Im sure going to lab tonight! I need over 1000hours. Probably 1600 hours or more. icon_thumright.gif

My gf is already complaining about the study time in written. I told her the lab hours will be tougher.

thanks guys.

You need 1000 hours. If you are too busy at work to lab, that will mean evenings and weekends for 1-2 years doing labs.

Talk it over at home. That's what it takes. The people working for Cisco study 9 -5. You don't. Personal time pressure. If she's up for it, do it. If she's not up for it. Be prepared to lose her.
  • Options
    Im willing to give up my weekends (friday night 5hrs, saturday 8-12hrs, sunday 6-8hrs)
    The weekdays, I can give up 3-4hrs of lab time.

My estimate 4hrs x 365 days = 1460hrs
    OR
    3hrs x 365 days = 1095hrs

lol I talked to her about it. She wants a new car after I passed. lol
  • Options
    Im willing to give up my weekends (friday night 5hrs, saturday 8-12hrs, sunday 6-8hrs)
    The weekdays, I can give up 3-4hrs of lab time.

My estimate 4hrs x 365 days = 1460hrs
    OR
    3hrs x 365 days = 1095hrs

lol I talked to her about it. She wants a new car after I passed. lol

LOL..she wants what she wants. Your a field IT professional. You wont have time to study unlike the Cisco employed crowd. You will study on your personal time..evenings and weekends. Wife/GF Management critical for a year at least..maybe two years.
  • Options
    LOL..she wants what she wants. Your a field IT professional. You wont have time to study unlike the Cisco employed crowd. You will study on your personal time..evenings and weekends. Wife/GF Management critical for a year at least..maybe two years.

She was there on my CCNA up to my CCIE-written so she knows what I went through on studying. I know shes putting up to it because my success is hers. I already know I have to study on my personal time. Its tough but thats how it is with all my certs. The only thing I can do is watch INE videos or read some more at work. Maybe I can play around GNS3 on the routing part but I wont be able to do the full blown lab.

Does Cisco employee get free study lab time while working?
  • Options

Lots. Most of the worlds CCIEs work for Cisco. It was a track never designed to be 'non Cisco' friendly.
  • Options
    She was there on my CCNA up to my CCIE-written so she knows what I went through on studying. I know shes putting up to it because my success is hers. I already know I have to study on my personal time. Its tough but thats how it is with all my certs. The only thing I can do is watch INE videos or read some more at work. Maybe I can play around GNS3 on the routing part but I wont be able to do the full blown lab.

1000 hours of lab time is a long trek. At 2 hours a day you wont make it in a year so go for 2 years. Keep her happy!
  • Options
    1000 hours of lab time is a long trek. At 2 hours a day you wont make it in a year so go for 2 years. Keep her happy!

Realistically this is my schedule and I will stick with it.
    mon - 3hrs
    tues - 3hrs
    weds - 3hrs
    thurs - 3hrs
    fri - 5hrs
    sat - 8hrs
    sun - 6hrs

Lets say shi* happens and I spend 4hrs a day in 365 days. I can still pull 1460hrs in a year. Im not even counting the time that I will be labbing at work. Its busy sometimes but not all the time. I can pull GNS3 and start labbing to familiarize the technologies. I'm very strict with my schedule and that is why I dont go out on the weekends. I guess thats the perks of not being married. I'm not waiting for 2 years to do my 1st attempt. icon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    Realistically this is my schedule and I will stick with it.
    mon - 3hrs
    tues - 3hrs
    weds - 3hrs
    thurs - 3hrs
    fri - 5hrs
    sat - 8hrs
    sun - 6hrs

Lets say shi* happens and I spend 4hrs a day in 365 days. I can still pull 1460hrs in a year. Im not even counting the time that I will be labbing at work. Its busy sometimes but not all the time. I can pull GNS3 and start labbing to familiarize the technologies. I'm very strict with my schedule and that is why I dont go out on the weekends. I guess thats the perks of not being married. I'm not waiting for 2 years to do my 1st attempt. icon_twisted.gif

I seriously doubt if you can keep that up. Keep your personal study thread on TE updated to keep you honest. It's Friday now in the states..have you labbed 5 hours today?

If you have a girlfriend or wife, is she happy to be a Cisco Widow? Have you discussed it? If not. Do so. If she is happy, proceed. If she is not happy, expect her to leave. Proceed.
  • Options
    I seriously doubt if you can keep that up. Keep your personal study thread on TE updated to keep you honest. It's Friday now in the states..have you labbed 5 hours today?

If you have a girlfriend or wife, is she happy to be a Cisco Widow? Have you discussed it? If not. Do so. If she is happy, proceed. If she is not happy, expect her to leave. Proceed.
    Shi* will happen so I put the 4hrs a day which is a give and take on the weekdays and weekends. I can still pull more than 1000hrs with 4hrs a day. I always update my time on the profile. I hope she stays but she knows that CCIE is my priority.

Im actually labbing right now and its just 440pm here. I still have the whole Friday night to lab.

back to labbing.
  • Options
    You clearly have some downtime on works time to prepare for the lab. Make the most of it! As for your plans, you have passed CCIE written so book your lab and join the thread 'CCIE seals.' Good luck with your studies. If you are still blogging in 1 years time you have a shot with the same gal or another one. Stay focussed!
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Thanks guys. I passed the ccie written today. Its not so much since I know the real challenge is the lab but I can finally full speed to labbing with narbiks wb. I should be labbing right now but I'm at the hospital with my aunt. I feel the pressure after passing the written. It feels like someones telling me that I should be labbing right now.

Congrats!

I would say you're halfway there, but we all know that's not true!
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    instant000 wrote: »
    Congrats!

I would say you're halfway there, but we all know that's not true!
    definitely not half way. lol I see the lab as the real test. lol

Here are some pics for the day.

Im tired. time to sleep so i can lab again tomorrow. goodnight! icon_thumright.gificon_cheers.gif
    1.jpg 71.5K
    2.jpg 90.5K
  • Options
    You're still not account for ethernet interfaces on the 3640s, and you're probably going to want some form of access server - trust me, moving that console cable gets really annoying, really quick
    You are right. I am so annoyed right now, switching back and forth! Im looking to buy a 2511-rj. Thanks! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    You are right. I am so annoyed right now, switching back and forth! Im looking to buy a 2511-rj. Thanks! icon_thumright.gif

Using Dynamips for CCIE Lab Preparation on a PC | INE
    Also included in the INE Topologies for Dynagen is a router instance that is designated as a Terminal Server (Access Server). This instance can be used like a Cisco 2511 series router to reverse telnet to the console ports of the virtual Dynamips router instances, similar to how the Terminal Server is used in the CCIE Lab Exam.

This is an option icon_cool.gif
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    ehnde wrote: »
    thanks. I found another way that is free. lol icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    Here are some pics!!!

So far I have spent 11hrs today on labbing. I am taking a break just to eat dinner then I will jump on it again.

Edit: all and all its 11 hrs today of labbing. Im so tired! i think Im done. I think i did as much as I can.
    4.jpg 65.8K
    5.jpg 94.2K
  • Options
    SirsamonSirsamon Member Posts: 221
    nothing beats having your own lab.

:)
  • Options
    Sirsamon wrote: »
    nothing beats having your own lab.

:)
    Definitely, I can work anytime I want icon_thumright.gif

I might buy the full blown lab soon.
  • Options
    I already made a move on buying my gears to create a a full blown lab. Some of the gears are arriving next week or 2 weeks. 1841 are expensive!!! I think I will be buying those next 2-3 weeks. I have been labbing using my 4 switches and GNS3. I really think a full CCIE lab is a great investment since this is my career and I can try things on real gears.

Anyhow, Ive been labbing after work for 3-5 hours. Im taking a break today since I will be at the Southern California Cisco User Group at Glendale. It will be great to meet all those Network Guru's. The topic today will be wireless. A wireless guy from Cisco will be presenting. Wireless is actually the 2nd CCIE that I would love to knock out. Going over there always pumps me up. So far i have spent 35hrs of labbing. I don't even want to think of the hours I am and will be spending.

The labbing is getting harder. My labbing style right now is:
    1. read the task
    2. create a lab
    3. verify lab
    4. read some stuff in the internet about the lab
    5. back to step 1
    It looks easy right? lol
  • Options
    I already made a move on buying my gears to create a a full blown lab. Some of the gears are arriving next week or 2 weeks. 1841 are expensive!!! I think I will be buying those next 2-3 weeks. I have been labbing using my 4 switches and GNS3. I really think a full CCIE lab is a great investment since this is my career and I can try things on real gears.

Anyhow, Ive been labbing after work for 3-5 hours. Im taking a break today since I will be at the Southern California Cisco User Group at Glendale. It will be great to meet all those Network Guru's. The topic today will be wireless. A wireless guy from Cisco will be presenting. Wireless is actually the 2nd CCIE that I would love to knock out. Going over there always pumps me up. So far i have spent 35hrs of labbing. I don't even want to think of the hours I am and will be spending.

The labbing is getting harder. My labbing style right now is:
    1. read the task
    2. create a lab
    3. verify lab
    4. read some stuff in the internet about the lab
    5. back to step 1
    It looks easy right? lol

The labbing is going fine for you, so you are geared. Concentrate on the technologies one at time for a couple of hundred hours. Then start the Vol II multiprotocol labs. Have fun.
  • Options
    My HP Touchpad loaded with important PDF's just in case I need to read outside. I haven't lab yesterday but I will lab tonight. I need to go out. Well someone is complaining that we need to go out. lol anyhow. have a great weekend guys! Ive been busy buying lots of stuff in eBay. lol my bank account is icon_sad.gif

IMG_3968.jpg