Options

My Malware is better than yours...

MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
This is a great read...

How Digital Detectives Deciphered Stuxnet, the Most Menacing Malware in History | Threat Level| Wired.com

If you don’t think malware is serious stuff… read on...

http://www.eset.com/us/resources/white-papers/The_Evolution_of_TDL.pdf

Virus/malware writers have a mission these days… it is not for fun. It is about the money or mission.

Thought I would share.

Comments

• Options
    So everyone has read this already? I figured I would get some kind of feedback. Am I behind times?
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Stay strap and get your wait up if you want to work in IT or InfoSec.

very good read.
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I love this story, but I wonder why I've only heard about it these forums. Something that would cripple Iran's uranium enrichment process ought to have made it the mainstream media outlets, even just as a 2 minute grab.
  • Options
    MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    Thanks for posting, a very interesting read. I've seen the TDL white paper before. Malware is definitely morphing into more than just an annoyance that it was years ago.
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • Options
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    I love this story, but I wonder why I've only heard about it these forums. Something that would cripple Iran's uranium enrichment process ought to have made it the mainstream media outlets, even just as a 2 minute grab.

I suppose we just wasn't paying attention for that 2 minutes. At least I wasn't, I saw this story first on infosec's website. Here is the story on Fox News.

Mystery Surrounds Cyber Missile That Crippled Iran's Nuclear Weapons Ambitions - FoxNews.com
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    Monkerz wrote: »
    I suppose we just wasn't paying attention for that 2 minutes. At least I wasn't, I saw this story first on infosec's website. Here is the story on Fox News.

Mystery Surrounds Cyber Missile That Crippled Iran's Nuclear Weapons Ambitions - FoxNews.com

Malware has been more of a criminal tool for a long time. It's all about stealing one thing or another from you. Stuxnet was more of an example of a "weapon" than anything else. The coding was very well done, and also the human element (operatives and so forth) did their job. Attacks like these will become more common in the future. APT's are being tailored and refined to attack single targets and do it very well. Aurora (attacked Google China) and Stuxnet are two prime examples of these types of attacks.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...