Options

would i be mad to do vcp4 without any vsphere experience?

chickenlicken09chickenlicken09 Member Posts: 537 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hello,

I am thinking of doing this course,realistically how hard will it be for me to pass without working with vsphere on a daily basis? I plan to watch the cbt/trainsignal videos before doing the course and also reading up on as much documentation as i can...i am also going to install vsphere and start playing around with it. I have also downloaded the student labs book that they go through during the course so that i will not fall behind in the labs during the course.
I do not have any virtualisation experience only 2 years in a support role,i also intend paying for this myself so it is a major decision! Ideally would like to get a job in this after the course but what are my chances with a cert and no experience? Any feedback much appreciated icon_smile.gif

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Psyco32Psyco32 Member Posts: 104 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It can be done. Just depends on how determined you are at it. I would suggest building a lab to accompany your training. Also, buy a copy of Amazon.com: Mastering VMware vSphere 4 (Computer/Tech) (9780470481387): Scott Lowe: Books
    2014 GOALS
    > GMOB [MAR_2014] OSCP [MAY_2014] GREM [OCT_2014]
  • Options
    Could you give me an example lab?
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I would start with the blueprint and the main documentation to get an idea of what you're getting into. The Scott Lowe book is great but I think you're find your head swimming quickly if you don't break down the blue print and start looking at the objectives. A lab is going to be essential, especially for someone with no experience with the product line.
  • Options
    eddo1 wrote: »

Google
    - Vmware home lab search criteria
    Start researching. There is no one answer to this question.
  • Options
    xxxooxxxxxxooxxx Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□

Buy VMware Workstation.

Install minimum two ESX hosts as guest machine. (requires some custom works)

You also need some type of virtual shared storage.

Start playing with it and follow examples in books.

Good luck.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hi there.

If you have zero experience in systems administration or networking, I think the learning curve will be very steep for you. Can it be done? Probably... but I would question how effective you would be as a vSphere admin without any networking or systems background. JMO...

- blargoe
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    nhan.ngnhan.ng Member Posts: 184
    Like others have said, the learning curve is gonna be huge. Is it hard? Yes, but it's also do-able. :) As far as i know, you can set up your home lab, but you cant duplicate the exact settings ie: server, storage...etc like they have in the training facility for your study....so in a way, the lab book wont help you much without the proper hardware set up icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Yeah I can adapt the books to what I'm doing and they serve as a good resource for lab examples but I've found that creating my own labs as I go through the material is much more beneficial and my lab beats most of the classroom labs anyway.
  • Options
    my degree is in networks so i am familiar with that side of things.are there many junior roles out there for vsphere admins?
  • Options
    guys, if you were to compare difficulty level to other certs which ones would be on par with the vcp e.g ccna, microsoft certs, ccnp etc ?
  • Options
    QHalo wrote: »
    my lab beats most of the classroom labs anyway.

i highly doubt that icon_wink.gif In order for a facility to meet vmware requirement to be teach the course, they have to have the right hardware. What's your set up look like? icon_confused.gif:
  • Options
    nhan.ng wrote: »
    i highly doubt that icon_wink.gif In order for a facility to meet vmware requirement to be teach the course, they have to have the right hardware. What's your set up look like? icon_confused.gif:

What I meant was that I don't have to share my lab with my lab partner which is something I noticed in the workbooks. They discuss having your lab partner do one part, then you do the other. The only thing my lab is missing is a Fibre channel setup. I'm working on that though using OpenFiler.
  • Options
    it's not sharing. It's collaboration. You have your own computer, your partner will have his own. At my school, we started with a team of 2, then when we get to lab 18, we collab with another team to form one big team of 4, and then 8, then 16....and so on.
  • Options
    guys, if you were to compare difficulty level to other certs which ones would be on par with the vcp e.g ccna, microsoft certs, ccnp etc ?
  • Options
    cant answer that question, as I havent take the VCP exam yet...I heard most of the stuff you learn in the ICM class arent even gonna be on the exam icon_sad.gif
  • Options

Look at the blueprint and then take a look at the referenced documentation. The difficulty is only in your ability to absorb and apply the knowledge gained. I have not taken a VMware test so I can't vouch for their wording on questions, but if you understand and know the technologies it shouldn't really matter. Make no mistake though, there is quite a bit of material to understand for this exam.