Options

Moving to Night Shift!

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
When I was first hired I was hired to be a NOC Tech. I came on and they didn't really have a dedicated NOC Team, it was more of do helpdesk until something NOC related popped up. I did fairly well and they moved me to helpdesk on a permanent basis (I wasn't given a choice as I wanted to stay on the NOC once a regular team was created). So I was talking to a fellow helpdesk engineer about my dislike for day shifts when he told me that our night shift guy wanted to move to days. Currently he works 8 PM to 6 AM, Mon to Thursday (three day weekend every weekend) and he job amounts to checking backups, rebooting devices, and calling out outages (be they server or internet). Anything he can't get working, he calls the on call engineer to sort out.

So I emailed him to see if he really wanted off that shift and then contacted our Director of Operations about switching. He said he didn't see a problem, though they didn't want to lose me on helpdesk. He talked to the NOC Manager and the Helpdesk Team Leader to see if they agreed. Both agreed! So next week I will work 3 AM to 11:30 AM Tuesday - Thursday (will work my normal 8:30 to 5 on Monday and Friday) and then it is night shifts for me! Really excited about moving to nights as I have always been a night guy outside of the IT world (use to work 6 pm to 2 am 5 days a week at a movie theater). Plus it will be nice to have the slower pace and few if any helpdesk calls!
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Study time! Hit those CBTs and book like there is no tomorrow.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Study time! Hit those CBTs and book like there is no tomorrow.

+1. Use the downtime wisely. Lots of dopes surf the internet and play games when there isnt anything happening. YOU should study and knock out some certs.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah man study for a high level certification. I could be a difference maker!
  • Options
    Crucio666Crucio666 Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Azeroth awaits
  • Options
    Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I recently had a similar change to my job.

I work as a Systems Analyst for Allscripts so basically I handle problems that practices and hospitals have with some of our software. I was commuting an hour 15 minutes to and from work each day and one day got offered the chance to work from home full time on a 12-9 schedule.

So basically for the past three weeks now I've been working 12-9 EST but from home, so there's a kind of freedom to it.

Congrats on the shift change, glad you like it.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • Options
    Yup, definitely going to finish my CCNA since my CCENT is set to expire in October. Especially since work will pay for it and it will help me with working with the network stuff overnight. Then we shall see!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Yup, definitely going to finish my CCNA since my CCENT is set to expire in October. Especially since work will pay for it and it will help me with working with the network stuff overnight. Then we shall see!

Dude, weren't you going to be nurse? Or have I got it all wrong.
  • Options
    moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mikedisd2, you trying to be direspectful or what? uncalled for
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    moss12 wrote: »

That could have come across as a bit abrupt, if you will. But once upon a time, the Grinch was considering leaving IT for good, but whether he was going to be a nurse, I dont know.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    i absolutely love the night shift (6pm - 6am). people arent constantly in and out all the time which allows for plenty of reading/studying.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Essendon wrote: »
    That could have come across as a bit abrupt, if you will. But once upon a time, the Grinch was considering leaving IT for good, but whether he was going to be a nurse, I dont know.

He's right. I think at some point he said that he decided against it. I was curious about this myself (him doing it, not me) for a little while.
  • Options
    mikedisd2 - yup I was thinking about switching, but once you factored in school time I'd be in about the same place money wise so decided against it. I didn't feel it was abrupt or disrespectful, he was correct and was just checking.

I'm sticking with IT (especially now that I have a shift I'll enjoy). Will it be for the long haul? Maybe. For now it is what I know and I am good at, so I'll keep paying my bills and take it one day at a time.

As always, thanks for the advice/well wishes/keeping on the straight and narrow!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    MT0911MT0911 Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you are wanting to switch then by all means go for it! I currently work night shifts and have been on them for about a year now (switched from doing 7am-4pm to 11pm - 9am). No joke, it can get busy at times but you will have time to get some incredible studying in! Switch and hit the books! icon_thumright.gif
    CompTIA: A+, Network+, Security+
    Cisco: CCENT, CCNA, CCDA, CCNA: Wireless
    In Progress: CCNP
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    mikedisd2 - yup I was thinking about switching, but once you factored in school time I'd be in about the same place money wise so decided against it. I didn't feel it was abrupt or disrespectful, he was correct and was just checking.

I'm sticking with IT (especially now that I have a shift I'll enjoy). Will it be for the long haul? Maybe. For now it is what I know and I am good at, so I'll keep paying my bills and take it one day at a time.

As always, thanks for the advice/well wishes/keeping on the straight and narrow!

Right there with you - I was majoring in Nursing, finished all the prereqs, and right when I got accepted I'd changed my major! With nursing you know you would always have a job...IT might *seem* a little shakey, especially if you are entry level.

It's worth it! I finished an A.S. in IT (in less than half the time finishing the A.S.N. program and becoming an R.N. would take) and now I'm making the same amount of money an entry level R.N. makes....more job satisfaction than I could have had as a nurse too.

Good luck on your CCNA and with the new job role icon_thumright.gif
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Night shifts are great for studying. I finished up my MCSE in 2009 while working nights.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    LOL, I could stand to lose some weight, but I'll be alright I think ;)
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    moss12 wrote: »

Disrespectful? icon_scratch.gif In what way? I have no idea what to say to this. It's a valid question as I believed Grinch had once stated he was looking to get out of IT and become a registered nurse.
    Glad you didn't find it offensive, and good to see you are staying with IT for a bit longer even though it's not what you want to do. Some of those certs you have listed aren't too easy to get.
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Bring plenty of reading material and lots of food !!!! You're gonna put some weight on your brain and body :)

Make sure you don't get glued to your seat; take walks.
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That 3 day weekend thing is definitely a seller there

I would've definitely took that offer as well
  • Options
    qdog007qdog007 Banned Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yup, definitely try to take advantage of the downtime for further study. When I was working night, I learned Perl scripting language and created a useful program for our department. I was also able to study and obtain my CCNA while on night shift. if you are looking to get ahead, definitely use the downtime to invest in yourself. It will pay off.
  • Options
    SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    You sound pumped, I worked nightshift for 2 years for an accounting firm and grew to loath it. Barely any work to do, condescending attitudes from day shift and it was murder on my family time & social life, not to mention health, just wasn't for me. I came to learn that it takes right person and right company culture for some to really thrive in it. Good luck with it!
  • Options
    First shift is over and it was awesome! No phone calls or alerts, just did some reboots, installs, and backup report.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff