...but you probably won't!

You should probably quit your job

What do you guys think ?
Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

Comments

• Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I don't think this applies to everyone. Me and several others right here on techexams are in IT following a lifetime dream. Maybe what we're doing doesn't promote peace or world literacy, but it has value to other people!

When I was a kid I knew I wanted to do something that was always shifting somehow...changing into something else that was so extensible it was pretty much infinite. For me that is IT.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's good advice for someone that isn't happy with what he/she is doing. Other than that, the writer seems rather pessimistic. Of course, if the writer doesn't think his daughter will be a vet, she probably won't, unless she is of a diametrically opposed mindset from her father. He knows something about her character, or he creates an environment in the household that it is okay to be mediocre. I am not sure which it is... My kids have high expectations put upon them. They are free to pursue their dreams, but they are expected to put in a full effort; they don't have to be perfect, but they should desire the pursuit, else they probably aren't that interested anyways.

I say, don't compromise, ever. If you think that your life has to be over because you get married and have kids... that is pretty lame. I have three kids and I do not pass up opportunities... I find ways to make things work. Everyone believes that children need a traditional childhood, and I think that is lame. If you had the opportunity to look back at a childhood where you got to live in a foreign country for a couple years, you would probably be happy with that experience, and you would be kicking yourself if you convinced your parents to pass on that situation. Kids thrive in exciting environments and become more engaged and interested. Sure, there are instances where kids shut-in and shut-down; but these are exceptions.

Heck, these past couple of weeks, I have been extremely introspective. I have gone from considering a different job, to the idea of working two full-time jobs, to the idea of trying to become a PharmD and work as a pharmacist part-time. We have to examine our lives occasionally. Now that this has all started to settle, I am probably going to go back to the daily grind. I need to chart a course for my current job, something that I guess I normally do 15-18 months into any job... it is when you find a groove and learn whether there is any potential within your company... when you have gotten past the "new" feeling and when you have the true respect of your peers and upper-level folks.

Further, the exercise of writing this response has done a great deal for me. I hope I have been able to provide some perspective for someone.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    MT0911MT0911 Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ehnde wrote: »
    I don't think this applies to everyone. Me and several others right here on techexams are in IT following a lifetime dream. Maybe what we're doing doesn't promote peace or world literacy, but it has value to other people!

When I was a kid I knew I wanted to do something that was always shifting somehow...changing into something else that was so extensible it was pretty much infinite. For me that is IT.

icon_thumright.gif
    CompTIA: A+, Network+, Security+
    Cisco: CCENT, CCNA, CCDA, CCNA: Wireless
    In Progress: CCNP