Options

VMware Training Online vs Classroom

beck11488beck11488 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

Was wondering if any of you could provide a review of your experience with VMware's online training or its classroom training. I in the process of registering for the VCP5 Install, Manage, Configure class and am in a toss up wether to go online or classroom.

I have taken both online and classroom courses throughout college and to me they both are about the same. I am just wondering of peoples experiences with either of VMware's offerings.

Comments

• Options
    nhan.ngnhan.ng Member Posts: 184
    def in class. You get to play with the technology and connecting with other people in classes :) You know how many high profiles people are actually in those classes? icon_lol.gificon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    beck11488beck11488 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    High profile people?
  • Options
    nhan.ngnhan.ng Member Posts: 184
    IT managers/leads/sups/company owners....etc :D Good way for you to get to know them.....so maybe if there's an opening at their company...*ahem* icon_lol.gificon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Bumping this subject if I may. ;)

I was initially going to sign up for a VSphere 5 class, but I also plan to attend VMworld in the same month. I am going to opt for the online classroom as it will not incur travel costs, eliminate red tape in the approval process for travel and finally....make the wife happy.

If I manage to get both it and VMworld approved, than it will be worth it.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I'm currently in a VSphere 5 class(all this week) that is both online and in-class. I would definitely recommend taking it in class if possible. While the online students are still getting the material and labs, I'm getting a lot more out of the classroom experience. Getting to meet other professionals working with the technology, sharing experiences of mistakes and problems and having a more conversational type of learning is completely different.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I agree, but I have read many who gave good feedback about both methods. Travel, hotel and meals adds significantly to the already expensive $3500 price tag. Although my immediate supervisors would be fine with that, getting that upper approval for it would be a challenge (being in government.) They are really picky on everything right now.

I would spend a month away doing training if I could! And......if my wife wouldn't kill me for leaving her with our 4 children doing so. :D
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The online option saves you travel/accommodation costs, but the level of interaction with the instructor and others taking the training is limited. All of VMware's instructors are very proficient in online delivery in my experience. I much prefer to be in class though...
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't think anyone would argue that being in the classroom is preferable. But (at least with VMware) the online training experience is pretty good. The group discussions still happen, you get the same attention from the instructor, etc. The level of interaction is not going to be the same as in person, but if you can't find the class local, I don't think you're going to be slighted if you do the online class.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...