Options

Sysinternals Administrator's Reference

RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
I know you are familiar with the tools and I know you think you know how to use them. But you need to read Windows Sysinternals Administrator's Reference.

I've finished the first 3 chapters and have to say that this is an amazing book. If you pride yourself on being a strong Windows admin then I have to say this is required reading and will help you get to a new level. IMO this book should be read and chapter 2 should be mastered before attempting to read Windows Internals: Including Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista. Although Chapter 1 of the Windows Internals book probably goes into more detail than Chapter two of the Tools book, Chapter 2 is probably the least you need to know.

All that being said has anyone here considered exam 70-660?

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Your link says that this hasn't been released yet.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Your link says that this hasn't been released yet.

I'm taking a shot in the dark here but I would guess that RK has a Safari Books membership. You are able to view some books before they are released on Safari Books. I glanced over this book and promptly added it to my "to read" list.. it looked really good.
  • Options
    xmalachi wrote: »
    I'm taking a shot in the dark here but I would guess that RK has a Safari Books membership. You are able to view some books before they are released on Safari Books. I glanced over this book and promptly added it to my "to read" list.. it looked really good.

I refuse to live w/o Safari... I used to think it was kind of useless, but since I got my Kindle I basically don't buy books anymore at all. I did not realize it had not been released.

Edit: I'm also watching one of the Live Lessons on Safari, Advanced .NET Debugging, which kind of goes along with the Internals theme.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I refuse to live w/o Safari... I used to think it was kind of useless, but since I got my Kindle I basically don't buy books anymore at all. I did not realize it had not been released.

Edit: I'm also watching one of the Live Lessons on Safari, Advanced .NET Debugging, which kind of goes along with the Internals theme.

Safari Books is actually an extremely amazing value. It is very rare that they do not have a book that you are looking for.
  • Options
    Crucio666Crucio666 Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thanks for the info. Looks like something worth checking out
  • Options
    I looked up the official release date, says that it is July 4th. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that Amazon just haven't received their stock yet so they still have it listed as preorder.

Windows sysinternals administrators reference Release Date
  • Options
    KillermacKillermac Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Looks like a good book to add to the shelf.
    Killermac :)
    A+;Net+;XP,MCP, Security+, Win 7: 70-680
  • Options
    It is in stock now on Amazon for those that are interested.
  • Options
    Has anyone looked at the 70-660 exam? I'm really considering this cert right now as a way help me on the way to the MCM SQL Server.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'll check out the Sysinternals Admin Reference. I have quite a bit of experience with many Sysinternals tools... basically I couldn't have done my previous job without them, since they are invaluable when building App-V packages and/or figuring out why applications won't work properly without administrator rights (yes there are still such applications in this day and age). I imagine a book by the author of the tools will go into some good depth and show new (to me) ways to use them.
    Has anyone looked at the 70-660 exam?
    I'm kind of intimidated by it. I don't have a strong programming background so I don't know if the exam (or Mark's Windows Internals book) is right for me.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    I'm kind of intimidated by it. I don't have a strong programming background so I don't know if the exam (or Mark's Windows Internals book) is right for me.

I think if you do a lot of work dealing with "broken" systems where a simple format and reinstall is not practical or has been tried, then it is very valid for you. If you do not work in situations like that then it might just be overkill.

I really think that a basic understanding of C or C++ native Windows programming is going to be enough, based on what people are saying about the exam. I'm going to start a resource thread in the "Other MS Electives" forum.
  • Options
    PovilasPovilas Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Has anyone looked at the 70-660 exam? I'm really considering this cert right now as a way help me on the way to the MCM SQL Server.

I'm also planing to take this exam in December-February. I think this cert is highly undervalued, but in fact knowledge of topics covered by this exam is almost required for any L3 server administrator to work efficiently. I was planing to buy and read Windows Internals 5th edition, but got new job and there are no machines with Server 2008, so I went for 4th edition instead and put reading of 5th or 6th (if it will be released this year) for later. These books with combination of life experience dealing with root causes of BSOD's and bit faded memories of programming at university, plus reading Mark Russinovich's blog all the way thru should be enough to pass 70-660. At least I hope so:)
    2013 to do list:
    [70-413] [70-414]
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,039 Admin
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□

You killed Borders. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Crucio666Crucio666 Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You guys pay monthly for Safari?
  • Options
    SephStorm wrote: »
    But I am also the only reason they lasted as long as they did. icon_wink.gif My library of print books spans two cases and that does not count the books I left in Brazil when I moved back to the States.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    SephStorm wrote: »

Barnes and Nobles is next....icon_twisted.gif

(Actually, I'll be quite sad as I do like going to B&N around midterm/finals season...lots of eyecandy to look at.....but aside from that, I still have my Kindle and Android phone to scan barcodes...bwahahahaha.....)
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    How is Books-A-Million still open? They have the highest prices and least discounts.