Options

Studying for CCNP... questions

Chrisjag92Chrisjag92 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I already have my CCNA and feel it's time to make the leap toward CCNP. I read the stickies but felt it was years old so I'm asking you all for help.

In which order would you suggest taking the CCNP? ROUTE or SWITCH first? And what do you feel are the best books to do so right now?icon_study.gif

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    svo4dot6svo4dot6 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Chrisjag92 wrote: »
    In which order would you suggest taking the CCNP? ROUTE or SWITCH first?

I would say start with whatever your more interesting in...once you have an exam under your belt the rest move pretty quick. Personally I started with BCMSN, because I felt switching would be the easiest for me as I had some experience working with cisco switches.
  • Options
    Chrisjag92Chrisjag92 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    svo4dot6 wrote: »
    I would say start with whatever your more interesting in...once you have an exam under your belt the rest move pretty quick. Personally I started with BCMSN, because I felt switching would be the easiest for me as I had some experience working with cisco switches.

I was thinking switching also, as I just find it easier. Recommend any books that are best to use?
  • Options
    benbuiltpcbenbuiltpc Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was thinking switching also, as I just find it easier. Recommend any books that are best to use?

I'm starting the SWITCH first. IPv6 frightens me, plus ROUTE seems like there's just more material. However I'm getting a migraine with STP right now. Using the Odom/Hucaby Cisco press Cert library.
  • Options
    svo4dot6svo4dot6 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□

I have always stuck with cisco press for my primary method and also used Chris Bryants study guides...the study guides are short and to the point, so i would look them over at lunch time. DISCLAIMER: I was took routing and switching before ROUTE/SWITCH so I only have experience with the BCMSN/BSCI material.
  • Options
    rtrefzrtrefz Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I did ROUTE -> SWITCH -> TSHOOT

I'd keep with this order, especially if you don't have much routing experience.
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    rtrefz wrote: »
    I did ROUTE -> SWITCH -> TSHOOT

I'd keep with this order, especially if you don't have much routing experience. I remeber a couple of sim questions for my SWITCH exam that dealt with EIGRP routing on a MLS.

Might want to edit your comment above, could be a violate of the NDA (specifying what you had on the exam).

I did a slightly different path, starting with SWITCH since I typically deal with more switching than routing on a day to day basis but that has been slowly changing.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    rtrefzrtrefz Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks. Didn't think about that. Edited.