Options

Vcp4?

EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
Hey gents, quick question for ya all. Now that vSphere 5 is out and so is the exam, is it worth it to do the VCP4 now and perhaps upgrade to the VCP5 later?

I am not new to Virtualisation, I have used Workstation at home for a couple of years, we run vSphere 4 at work, and I have built VM's and troubleshot issues with VM's. My company has no intentions of upgrading to vSphere 5 any time soon.

So should I go ahead with the VCP4 as I am currently planning (actually have been for several months now) and later upgrade to VCP5, that's if there's an upgrade path available.

Thank you for your time.
NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com

Comments

• Options
    nhan.ngnhan.ng Member Posts: 184
    Most companies will for sure hold off on upgrading to ESXi 5, so I'd say yeah, def go after VCP4 and whenever you feel like jumping ship, get certified in VCP5 icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Fugazi1000Fugazi1000 Member Posts: 145
    It seems that if you have VCP4 then you can upgrade to VCP5 by Feb 2012 without needing to attend another official training course. I am doing VCP4 Fast track starting next week!
  • Options
    nhan.ng wrote: »
    Most companies will for sure hold off on upgrading to ESXi 5, so I'd say yeah, def go after VCP4 and whenever you feel like jumping ship, get certified in VCP5 icon_lol.gif

Fair call, but it's difficult, if not impossible, to fork out $3000 or whatever it is now for the course. I cannot fathom why VMware require you to do a course, I dont think it weeds out any dumpers and besides what can you learn in 5 days anyway. Money-minting is the only thing that comes to mind. And my company wouldnt give the money either.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    Fugazi1000 wrote: »
    It seems that if you have VCP4 then you can upgrade to VCP5 by Feb 2012 without needing to attend another official training course. I am doing VCP4 Fast track starting next week!

Now that's a good one.

How fast is the Fast track? A couple of days or something, maybe a few hours?! Lol.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Maybe you can use virtual money to pay for the course!:) icon_wink.gif

I only wish.....icon_sad.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

Fugazi1000Fugazi1000 Member Posts: 145
    vSphere Fast track (with Automation) is 5 days of 10 hours+. Longer than the Install, Configure & Manage because it includes some PowerCLI. Looking forward to it.
  • Options
    Essendon wrote: »
    Fair call, but it's difficult, if not impossible, to fork out $3000 or whatever it is now for the course. I cannot fathom why VMware require you to do a course, I dont think it weeds out any dumpers and besides what can you learn in 5 days anyway. Money-minting is the only thing that comes to mind. And my company wouldnt give the money either.

My class cost less than 100 dollars icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    dalesdales Member Posts: 225
    nhan.ng wrote: »
    My class cost less than 100 dollars icon_lol.gif

You cant leave that there, do ellaborate!
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

Twitter:dscriven
    Blog: vhorizon.co.uk
  • Options
    If you're in California, specially the Orange County area, check this school

Coastline Community College - Class Schedule & Catalogs

there's a few members here that are in that class with me this term icon_cool.gif

ps: the other thing you have to pay for is the $50~ book
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I found a local online class as well that's about to start up for 200 less than UCSC as well. Trust me, no one here is paying 3000 for the class unless their employer is doing it.
  • Options
    Thank you guys for all the advice. I was reading up on vmware.com that you can upgrade from VCP4 to VCP5 for just the cost of the exam (till the end of Feb 2010), with no course requirement.

VCP4, here I come.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    Essendon wrote: »
    Thank you guys for all the advice. I was reading up on vmware.com that you can upgrade from VCP4 to VCP5 for just the cost of the exam (till the end of Feb 2010), with no course requirement.

VCP4, here I come.

Sure hope you meant 2012! :)
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

i think it's 2011 :) Starting 2012, you'll have to sit in a class
  • Options
    Actually, I heard February, 2012....

MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ITdude wrote: »
    Actually, I heard February, 2012....
    Right, it would not make sense to require passing the VCP 5 before it is even available (never mind the time travel issue). icon_lol.gif
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    cool, give me more time too icon_lol.gificon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Have they said anything about how long they'll be offering the VCP 4 classes and the test?
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Options
    Right, it would not make sense to require passing the VCP 5 before it is even available (never mind the time travel issue). icon_lol.gif

Hilarious! Needed the laugh. Sorry about the typo!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    tbgree00 wrote: »
    Have they said anything about how long they'll be offering the VCP 4 classes and the test?

Not yet, no. VCP4 exam must surely be available until at least end of Feb 2012. To some degree, it is down to the individual training provider as to how they schedule vSphere 4 and vSphere training courses from September onwards...
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com