MPLS, BGP Material

SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
Looks like I am going to be taking a position for a managed services company.. Sounds like pretty interesting work. Lots of Cisco router L3 WAN work, some travel, and the pay/benefits seem fairly nice.

In the same breathe it also sounds like a lot of work.. They said their pretty heavy in MPLS, BGP, OSPF, IPSec, GRE, etc.. I'm not worried about the OSPF/IPSec/GRE portion, but I want to expand my knowledge on MPLS and BGP since I don't work with them on a daily basis currently (And I haven't labbed with them since my CCNP Studies over a year ago).

So I'm looking to find some good material to grab this way I can start understanding the material better. What do you guys recommend for MPLS/BGP? I know the CCIP track covers these technologies but I will probably take a step back from Certifications until I get this new job under my thumb. (Unless those of you with the CCIP believe it is a worthwhile track to pursue)

Has anyone worked with a managed services company before? A position like this seems like a logical step for me: 1. I can finally focus more on Cisco and less VMWare/Microsoft/Servers 2. A position like this should put me in a better position to take the CCIE after a few years and really get my feet wet. (a long term goal of mine)
My Networking blog
Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS

Comments

• down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    For BGP:

Amazon.com: BGP Design and Implementation (0619472051092): Randy Zhang, Micah Bartell: Books
    Amazon.com: Internet Routing Architectures (2nd Edition) (9781578702336): Sam Halabi: Books

and supplement with CBT Nuggets or INE's BGP videos

for MPLS:

Amazon.com: MPLS Fundamentals (9781587051975): Luc De Ghein: Books

again supplement with either CBT Nuggets or INE videos.

For both I would recommend adding Routing TCP/IP Volumes I & II and fresh pots of coffee!

Congrats on the new position!
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Thanks!

I notice some of those books are a few years, is the information within those still valid for today?
    My Networking blog
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Yes it is. The protocols have, for the most part, stayed the same though you can always reference the online documentation/configuration guides (Cisco Guides or RFCs) for any changes that you may need.

Those books are still considered to be among the best reference guides for the technology.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    Yep they are still valid. Just make sure you read the BGP books in the opposite order listed (IRA first) and read the MPLS book after BGP.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    SteveO86 wrote: »
    So I'm looking to find some good material to grab this way I can start understanding the material better. What do you guys recommend for MPLS/BGP? I know the CCIP track covers these technologies but I will probably take a step back from Certifications until I get this new job under my thumb. (Unless those of you with the CCIP believe it is a worthwhile track to pursue)

If you have any aspirations for the CCIE R&S, then the CCIP is a worthwhile track.
    Thanks guys I'll be picking up these soon enough. Then I just gotta get some good reading time in within the next two weeks.
    If you have any aspirations for the CCIE R&S, then the CCIP is a worthwhile track.

It's more of a long term goal of mine. I've been involved in both network/system for the last 3 years, a position like this looks like it has got potential to further my Cisco and networking knowledge 10 fold.. (Of course it sounds like it will be much more challenging then my current position) So CCIE is kind of a lingering dream in the back of my mind I want to pursue after a few more years.. Just gotta take this one step at a time.

It certainly will be interesting not supporting VMWare/Microsoft/Server technologies.. Kind of invalidates half my certificates especially when after time passes and start to lose the hands on experience, but in the same breathe I will be gaining much more Cisco/Networking knowledge and I have been been looking forward to specializing my skill set.
    My Networking blog
  • CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    Check your PM's, Sent you a message in regards to material :)
    Thanks for the PM !!
    My Networking blog