Options

Should I switch back to Linux? (gaming oriented question)

ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
The following describes a first world problem (if you don't know what I'm talking about see First World Problems: Button, button, who has the button? for a list of examples):

I've been using Linux for about 10 years and for the longest time I loved it. When I was in college I needed so many applications for school that would only work on Windows and spent so much time playing games that I found it more convenient to buy a Windows 7 license and convert to the dark side. At that time I needed the following:
  • visio
  • Microsoft Access
  • ESXi
  • Nookstudy
  • Internet Explorer (Microsoft labs)
....probably countless others. I was also playing WoW (I've quit) and later League of Legends. LoL does not work at all on linux. I checked it in the Wine AppDB - it has a rating of garbage.

Now the only thing I'd be missing at this point if I completely demolish windows and switch back to linux would be LoL. It's a RTS MMO and is not feasible to run in a virtual machine.

What games do you guys enjoy playing on Linux? I would need to fill the void of League of Legends, which I play about one match per day lasting 30 minutes. Free is best, but I might be willing to pay a bit if the game is really worth it.

I'm looking for a game that you can play online with other people that runs on Linux, hopefully free.
Climb a mountain, tell no one.

Comments

• Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    Gaming on Linux is pretty limited. You've got WINE, a pile of Linux open source FPS/Sims, half-assed RPGs, and some random Linux games that don't do much but amuse you.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input guys. I looked around a bit and in case anyone would like to try it out: Savage 2 - A Tortured Soul

Looks awesome and it runs on linux!
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Hah. The only games I ever really played online were text-based God wars muds, and for a few months across the 2009/2010 winter, I tried out Evony.

If I had put my mudding time into school, I would have had at least two masters degrees, if not also a Ph.D. I calculated the time I placed into this one mud, and it came out to 40 hours a week! I mudded for a little over a year, clocking over 2,000 hours! (This was during college, when free time was plentiful, and easily wasted.)

I just realized now that it's mid-month, and I haven't played the one game I did play from time to time: NBA 2K11 (PC). Maybe it's the lock-out. (Or maybe, just maybe, it's the fact that I'm studying for CCNA Security, and taking it seriously.)

I still go out with my girlfriend at least once a week, so I've not shuttered myself away into a dungeon, just more mindful of how I spend my non-work time, when I'm studying now. I even need to ration my appearances on techexams.net. I joined in April, and have already hit 500 posts, which comes out to a rate of 4.96 per day (just added this post, and the day is still young!)
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    instant000 wrote: »
    Hah. The only games I ever really played online were text-based God wars muds, and for a few months across the 2009/2010 winter, I tried out Evony.

If I had put my mudding time into school, I would have had at least two masters degrees, if not also a Ph.D. I calculated the time I placed into this one mud, and it came out to 40 hours a week! I mudded for a little over a year, clocking over 2,000 hours! (This was during college, when free time was plentiful, and easily wasted.)

I just realized now that it's mid-month, and I haven't played the one game I did play from time to time: NBA 2K11 (PC). Maybe it's the lock-out. (Or maybe, just maybe, it's the fact that I'm studying for CCNA Security, and taking it seriously.)

I still go out with my girlfriend at least once a week, so I've not shuttered myself away into a dungeon, just more mindful of how I spend my non-work time, when I'm studying now. I even need to ration my appearances on techexams.net. I joined in April, and have already hit 500 posts, which comes out to a rate of 4.96 per day (just added this post, and the day is still young!)

I know just how you feel - that's why I quit playing WoW! But I still like to play a game maybe 30 minutes up to 1 hour per day. The trick is to convince yourself that studying is MORE FUN than the game you were playing icon_lol.gif But how?

Man if I studied like I once played WoW I would finish the remaining 200 pages in the Cisco Press book (CCNA:Security) in about 3 days from now, and be ready to take the exam in about 10 days. I'd also be a CCNP 4 months after that. icon_lol.gif

BTW I've just figured out steam works under linux, so any steam game is "fair" game.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    ehnde wrote: »
    BTW I've just figured out steam works under linux, so any steam game is "fair" game.

Um...not quite. icon_wink.gif
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Um...not quite. icon_wink.gif

Steam itself has a gold rating in wine:
    WineHQ - Steam Official Release

An actual game, Team Fortress 2 has a platinum rating in wine:
    WineHQ - Team Fortress 2 Steam
  • Options
    MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    I don't do much gaming on Linux, I stick to Windows. Battle for Wesnoth is pretty cool though (multi OS too): Battle for Wesnoth
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    ehnde wrote: »
    Steam itself has a gold rating in wine:
    WineHQ - Steam Official Release

An actual game, Team Fortress 2 has a platinum rating in wine:
    WineHQ - Team Fortress 2 Steam

And you said any game. Just because a client piece works, doesn't mean the hundreds+ games it can pull down will work. But it sure is nice to always have a source of reference like that where others have done the work and left feedback.

Good luck! You can never match Windows though. icon_cheers.gif
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    cxzar20cxzar20 Member Posts: 168
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,039 Admin
    cxzar20 wrote: »
    Dual boot?
    How 1990's!

icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Why not dual boot windows and linux. Switch over for the 1 game. This was my plan for WOW on my vista laptop years ago. Unfortunately, they didn't make an XP driver for my video card so I never got it for work. (Yes, my xp was only for 1 game)
    Decide what to be and go be it.