Options

Best Beginning Powershell Book

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
What book would you guy say to start with? I have a limited programming background so looking for that true beginner kind of book. Thanks in advance!
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Powershell for the absolute beginner - is what I am reading. I think it's good.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    There is another one for people with some fear of programming by Don Jones a PowerShell MVP. He wrote powershell courseware for Microsoft and assumes no prior experience.

Redirect to Learn Windows PowerShell in a Month of Lunches

It is around 300 actual text pages 336 total and looks at powershell from an administrators viewpoint building you up slowly in 28 bite size chunks so that you can pick it up and put it down in bursts. Don also did the CBT Nuggets videos on powershell.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    My recommendation would go to Windows Powershell in Action by Bruce Payette. I found that one to be pretty good working up from the basics. Unfortunately I haven't looked at the second edition of it but hopefully it would still be just as good.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    undomiel wrote: »
    My recommendation would go to Windows Powershell in Action by Bruce Payette. I found that one to be pretty good working up from the basics. Unfortunately I haven't looked at the second edition of it but hopefully it would still be just as good.

I have the second edition and I second this suggestion. As for the second book you should read I have been skimming the Automating SharePoint Administration book for a few weeks and have to say if the other books in the series are as good as the SharePoint book then that is a great place to go next.

Automating Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 with Windows PowerShell 2.0
    Automating Active Directory Administration with Windows PowerShell 2.0
    Automating SharePoint 2010 with Windows PowerShell 2.0

If they come out with one for SQL Server I may wet myself... But the guy who wrote the SharePoint book is a demigod in the SharePoint world and created a number of amazing tools for SharePoint so I would not expect anything less from him in that book. The other two I have not even looked at yet.
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Probably just go with the For Dummies book.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    TheShadow wrote: »
    There is another one for people with some fear of programming by Don Jones a PowerShell MVP. He wrote powershell courseware for Microsoft and assumes no prior experience.

It is around 300 actual text pages 336 total and looks at powershell from an administrators viewpoint building you up slowly in 28 bite size chunks so that you can pick it up and put it down in bursts. Don also did the CBT Nuggets videos on powershell.
    I second this. Reading this book now to reintroduce myself to PowerShell after a layoff and I like it better than the Windows PowerShell in Action book which I only got a few chapters into.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    TheShadow wrote: »

Upon the suggestions in this thread I decided to go ahead and order this today. Should be here Wednesday, now to find the time to read it. icon_lol.gif
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.