Options

Career Advice...

Chrisjag92Chrisjag92 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I've come to a pretty tough decision as a new job opportunity has arisen. My buddy may be able to hook me up a job that isn't exactly the field I've been trying to work in.

I recently got my CCNA, and have been working help desk for over 3 years while searching for the right network engineering job. That is the field I really want to be in, but finding a job has been tough. Yesterday, my buddy told me his company is hiring, and here is the description:

Description:
Experience in Networking Healthcare (Medical & Dental) offices a big plus, installing network Cat5e/Cat6 cabling and certifications a benefit as well. Must have a reliable vehicle and insurance for travel throughout the area. This is a field technician/engineer position, not a network administrator, nor a desk job. Benefits include car allowance, cell phone, vacation, health, dental coverage choices, life insurance & retirement plan. Respond with resume and salary requirements. Qualified applicants may undergo an online assessment. The candidate that is hired will undergo a background check and drug test.

Requirements (Skills and Experience)
Experience with installing and upgrading desktop and server operating systems, configuring and troubleshooting peer-peer and server-client networks.
Solid technical understanding and skill troubleshooting, building, repairing, and configuring of core computer network components including PCs, servers, firewalls, routers, backup systems, anti-virus, and email.
Ideal candidate will possess a strong work ethic and have the ability to manage and prioritize multiple assignments. In addition, this individual must be able to take on tasks with minimal supervision, exercise good judgment in performing these tasks and complete them in a prompt and efficient manner.
Must have the ability to work independently and as a team. Capable of working closely with peers. Candidate must be a self-starter. Proficient in speaking and understanding English.
Possess good customer service skills, an attention to detail and the ability to multi task.
This position is a front line resource for customer questions and concerns. Work performed at customer site will require intensive customer interface and requires strong interpersonal and communication abilities. The talent to develop and maintain client relations is essential.
Must have the ability to regularly lift, move and carry computer equipment weighing up to 75 lbs. Use of common powers tools and climbing of ladders is required.
Need someone who can be flexible in the change of work hours. Ability to work varying schedules, overtime and possible overnight travel are part of this job.

It has nothing to do with CISCO, but seems sort of tech related. I'm sure there wouldn't be an opportunity to advance in this company that allows CISCO hands on or anything like that either.

Should I take this job if I can or wait it out? I do really need a new job, as my current gig is part time. Any advice would be great.

Comments

• Options
    btlegacybtlegacy Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This appears to be more a of a cabling tech position where you will be putting cables in and doing occasional hardware work. If the position will give you a lot bigger pay than your part time gig then I would take it and keep looking for the right Cisco position. Also, consider if you take it that your buddy vouched for you so if you quit very soon then he may look bad
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    It sounds like a mobile Desktop Support/Jr. Admin kind of position to me. If you're currently working on a helpdesk, this sounds like a step up.

If you want to work in a networking-only position, you have to get some hands on experience to go with your CCNA. I worked several jobs where I got a *little* Cisco exposure and experience before anyone was willing to give me a shot in a true Network Engineer position. The CCNA alone won't do it for you usually. This job sounds like it will give you exposure to a variety of technologies, which is always good. You can't always make the jump straight to what you want to do long term. Sometimes you have to take smaller steps in another direction that will give you relevant experience to pursue your long term goal.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    btlegacy wrote: »
    This appears to be more a of a cabling tech position where you will be putting cables in and doing occasional hardware work. If the position will give you a lot bigger pay than your part time gig then I would take it and keep looking for the right Cisco position. Also, consider if you take it that your buddy vouched for you so if you quit very soon then he may look bad

This here is one of my bigger concerns. I might feel obligated to stay with them since he did vouch for me. I would also hate it to be 3 years from now and I'm back looking for another entry level CISCO job again.

Thanks for the replies so far.
  • Options
    bump. still not really sure on what I should do at this point
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Chrisjag92 wrote: »
    bump. still not really sure on what I should do at this point

If you have nothing else than I would take it. It's an inroad into IT.
  • Options
    Moki99Moki99 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would deffinittly take this job if the pay is a bit better than your last/current job. It's a step up from helpdesk, and its good experience. Just work this job for 6 months - 1 year for the experience then start looking for a better job.