Options

Boson ICDN1 practice test is kickin ma a**!

SurferdudeHBSurferdudeHB Member Posts: 199 ■■■□□□□□□□
Ugh.. I know this topic has been discussed before but I'm going through my firs pass at the Boson practice exam for ICDN1 and I can barely complete 10 questions within 1 hour not including getting half of the answers wrong.
I've watched the CBT Nuggets for ICDN1 twice, read Todd Lamne's book and use Packet Tracer plus subnettingquestions.com
so far I scored well with the practice test from the Lamne's book and can subnet in my head.

I think the way the Boson test presents the questions not including the spider web network diagrams is a bit overwhelming at first.
I'm trying to find the right strategy to successfully tackle this test. Such as, rereading the question until I fully comprehend what they are asking for and don't get overwhelmed with the network diagrams or the IOS command outputs.

I guess I shouldn't stress out too much since this is my first try a the practice test. From reading the threads on this forum the Boson test is the closest thing to the real test and if you do well on it then the real exam should be easier to pass.

Ok end of rant... thank you!

Comments

• Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Is just reading the book enough ?

I summarise/paraphrase important points as I go through. Then do all the end of chapter exercises before moving on.

Same with the videos, I take notes as I go through.

Then next day go back reread the chapter notes and redo the exercises I had trouble with.I put the notes into a space repition app (like mental case for mac/iphone or memosyne for pc) and then go through them when I get spare time.

I need the reinforcing to get things to sink in.
    Used this to do some subjects in my degree (5 subjects to go - been ten years part time) and in a chinese course I've just completed(did levels 1 and 2 in a year instead of two years) which isn't to bad for someone working and studying at the same time.
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The practice tests always kicked my butt too. The Boson test is always harder than the actual test. People say if you get 80% or higher than you should be fine. I suggest reading the material more until you can talk about it without having to look things up. Also it doesn't help to use online resources to make sure you understand things.

Also I suggest using labs from this site

Packet Tracer 5.3 labs
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233
    Honestly, that is exactly what you want in a practice test. You want it to be such a bear that you actually learn some things by getting the questions wrong and then researching the correct answers. I will admit that he does ask a few pretty obscure questions during the exam, but having actual sim/simlet questions to play with is invaluable when you go to take the actual exam. You'll sit down for your CCENT test and go "Wow, this exam looks/feels like that Boson exam I just took". Pretty cool stuff.
  • Options
    SurferdudeHBSurferdudeHB Member Posts: 199 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Honestly, that is exactly what you want in a practice test. You want it to be such a bear that you actually learn some things by getting the questions wrong and then researching the correct answers. I will admit that he does ask a few pretty obscure questions during the exam, but having actual sim/simlet questions to play with is invaluable when you go to take the actual exam. You'll sit down for your CCENT test and go "Wow, this exam looks/feels like that Boson exam I just took". Pretty cool stuff.

Yes you're absoluately right on this. I just need to get this practice exam down and I'll be ready! :)
  • Options
    TSaLTSaL Member Posts: 38 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Boson exam are tuff as ****. I was doing 75% in the ICND1 Boson exam and scored 850 on the CCENT. I think i could have done better but was really thrown off by the shitty testing environment i had deal with.
  • Options
    tex3030tex3030 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Where is the boson practice exam? Do you have to buy the boson ex-sim?
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You get the Boson practice exam on the CD included with the Odom ICND1 book.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    tex3030tex3030 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks.
    Guess Odom's book is a better value then, I am disappointed in the practice test that came with Lammle's book (have not taken the Cisco test yet).
  • Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Like others said, I had issues with the pratice exam with Odom's book. You may need to read the book again. I was hitting 80-90's on the pratice exam and it was much harder than the real exam. It does make sure you are ready for the exam.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Options
    klawrenceklawrence Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    You get the Boson practice exam on the CD included with the Odom ICND1 book.

This is a common misconception, but it is not correct.

The practice exam included with the study guide is provided by the publisher. It is not a Boson practice exam. It is a Cisco Press practice exam.

This Cisco Press practice exam is delivered by the Boson Exam Environment, or BEE. The BEE is a delivery system for the content, or testing engine which powers the exam.

Boson's practice exams are called ExSim-Max and they are not packaged with any study guide. They are only available online from Boson.

So, Boson does assist in the delivery of the Cisco Press practice exam included with the study guide, but the guide does not contain a Boson practice exam.

Kind regards,

Kelson
    Boson Software