Options

Join Hyper-v host to guest DC

OverdashOverdash Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have a Hyper-v server that hosts a Web, Exchange, WDS, and Domain controller (along with a few other guests).

My question is; do you think it is a good idea to join my hyper-v server to the domain that it hosts?

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's fine. If the DC dies you can still log on to the Hyper-V host with the local admin account and disjoin it from the domain. If you set up a lot of permissions with domain groups/accounts and the domain is wiped out, you will lose that work. For a typical AD environment you should have a minimum of two DCs, though, to avoid this issue.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Also in the case of a hyper-v cluster you have to have the hosts joined to the domain for the cluster to operate. But you'll want a DC that is external to the cluster to provide authentication in case the cluster ever comes down.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    OverdashOverdash Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys,

I did consider buying another server with a core-i7 so that I could cluster. I need to do something with all these 32-bit servers I have sitting around. They are pretty useless as far as external domain controllers because Server 2008 R2 is 100% 64-bit. Still haven't decided what to do with them and can't justify the electric bill if they server no purpose. icon_confused.gif: