Options

A new guy looking for help

Razr linkzRazr linkz Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello gentlemen/ladies(if any),
I stumbled upon on this site using the stumbleupon* site haha. I am glad I did as I'm in that moment in my college career where I'm not sure on which direction to go in. I do like the IT world a lot b/c it seems like its a good place for me to help people since technology is practically something we use on a daily basis and there are plenty of people who have questions and need help.

I'll start by explaining what I know or have experienced: I have taken a class of A+ Troubleshooting and Networking back in high school(2 years ago), another one in college as well as b/c I was I had to(that turned out to be a lie and a class not transferable), I have messed with programming(visual basic only,and a little of html) also back in high school(which I didn't mind but was only half a semester and I've already forgotten most of it). I'm not A+ certified b/c I figured it was pointless in getting one as obviously there will new operating systems coming out in the future...and was I wrong as it seems I can't even get a job with the geeks in Geek Squad or an intership b/c I miss out on them or some other reason.

I've been working at a electronic retail store for about 3 years now and have been trying to keep up with the tech that comes out which always a plus right? My problem is that I've been at college only taking care of my general eds while trying to figure out a good IT career. I noticed that many certifications need to be re certified after a certain period which is fine with me as I'm not a perfect person and sometimes need to be updated.

So I guess my question is what should I do to find out what IT field would be good to get into as I know there are plenty. Not so sure if I would be to handle programming at a desk kind of thing for hours but I wouldn't mind getting my hands dirty and a little of programming. Are there any IT career tests out there? What would you folks recommend is a must have?

Apologies to everyone if you felt like I was writing my entire life in this post..but I feel like I've just been wasting my time at this retail place and would like to get into IT field as I feel like my heart is there. Thanks to everyone for finding the time to read this.-Razr linkz