Options

NIC to Router Connection and pinout confusion

winner9909winner9909 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
from what ive read i understand that both

NIC and Router

transmit on pins 1 and 2 and receive on 3 & 6

my question is then how come you can connect your pc to a router on your home network using a straight through cable?

Comments

• Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You're not actually connecting your PC directly to the router, you're connecting it to the built-in switch.

And besides that, most newer equipment supports auto-MDIX, which auto-senses which pairs it should transmit and receive on.
  • Options
    so there is another connection inside the physical router unit ?

in other words Nic to Physical port on router unit(switch) then from there to an internal router?
  • Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    winner9909 wrote: »
    from what ive read i understand that both

NIC and Router

transmit on pins 1 and 2 and receive on 3 & 6

my question is then how come you can connect your pc to a router on your home network using a straight through cable?

Your home router has a built in switch. If you hook up your pc to a enterprise router is may not work and require a cross over cable unless it has auto sense and then it logically changes the pins using software.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    winner9909 wrote: »
    so there is another connection inside the physical router unit ?

in other words Nic to Physical port on router unit(switch) then from there to an internal router?

Yes, internally, the router and the wireless access point (if you have a wireless router) are connected to the switch. So while what you have is one physical device, logically its three distinct devices.
  • Options
    good stuff. Thanks guys. im sure i may have more questions as i study.