Options

should I call them

jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
I applied to geek squad, the Apple store, and Walmart. It will be two weeks this Thursday. Is this normal to wait to see if I get a call back? Or should I wait the full two weeks and then call on Friday? I'm really hoping that I'll get a chance with geek squad.
Booya!!
WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
*****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****

Comments

• Options
    nhan.ngnhan.ng Member Posts: 184
    I always move on if it's been a week and no phone call.
  • Options
    Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    Understand that sometimes companies move quite slow in their hiring process. That being said, I would not sit by idlely waiting for them. Make sure you keep applying to other jobs.
  • Options
    DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't think it hurts to call once to check on your status, very least shows ambition.

Considering you are in GR Michigan, you should be applying for anything and everything you qualify for. Currently entry IT jobs posted in GR on Craigslist get 300 resumes a day, MTB isn't far from that either.

When I was looking for a job in GR I was checking websites (craigslist, MTB, ect.) at least 3 times a day, 7 days a week. Beyond that start checking everywhere else, there are a lot of IT jobs out there that never post online.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    May I ask why you are applying at these places? Considering they're not really IT jobs.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    PPforLifePPforLife Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't think it hurts to call once to check on your status, very least shows ambition.

Considering you are in GR Michigan, you should be applying for anything and everything you qualify for. Currently entry IT jobs posted in GR on Craigslist get 300 resumes a day, MTB isn't far from that either.

When I was looking for a job in GR I was checking websites (craigslist, MTB, ect.) at least 3 times a day, 7 days a week. Beyond that start checking everywhere else, there are a lot of IT jobs out there that never post online.

What is GR and MTB
  • Options
    PPforLife wrote: »
    What is GR and MTB

GR = Grand Rapids, Michigan

MTB = Michigan Talent Bank - online job board
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    SteveLord wrote: »
    May I ask why you are applying at these places? Considering they're not really IT jobs.

Gotta start somewhere. Without any expierence at least touching a computer, people have a hard time getting in. It doesn't hurt to apply at any of those places.

I never heard back from Geek Squad when I applied there right after college. But within a week I had a job as a Jr. Sys Admin. Luck of the draw I suppose...If Geek Squad would offer me a job now, I'd laugh at them. That'd be huge step back and cut in pay.
  • Options
    LoMo wrote: »
    He needs a gig.

Word I do. The Apple store and Geek squad will (I think) start me off somewhere. Places are asking for Microsoft certifications which I'm not focusing on right now and I really really don't have the time and money to start working on those certs. Walmart is a different story because I've worked in a warehouse setting so I hope that they stick me with a highlow and dock work. If not then I can do night shift stocking. I need the money so I can actually move these certifications out of the way.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options

I forgot about MTB. I'll check them out and see what I can find in Kzoo too.
    Booya!!
  • Options
    The current job I'm at I got through the MTB, as well as a few face to face interviews.

Michigan is not an easy place to start out just never get discouraged or give up.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    You've seem to have a good head on your shoulders if you can achieve what you have there. Stay motivated and keep your standards high as long as you can.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    I applied to geek squad, the Apple store, and Walmart. It will be two weeks this Thursday. Is this normal to wait to see if I get a call back? Or should I wait the full two weeks and then call on Friday? I'm really hoping that I'll get a chance with geek squad.

Did you apply directly or through the web?
  • Options
    Did you apply directly or through the web?

I applied online for all three of the jobs.
    Booya!!
  • Options
    Thanks Deathgomper and SteveLord. I'll keep looking but I think I might just end up moving out the state and finishing my degree online or something. I'm still not sure about the option to work full time and go to school at night while I'm studying for these tests in my signature. Although it seems the best way is to work full time.
    Booya!!
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks Deathgomper and SteveLord. I'll keep looking but I think I might just end up moving out the state and finishing my degree online or something. I'm still not sure about the option to work full time and go to school at night while I'm studying for these tests in my signature. Although it seems the best way is to work full time.

There is a group on linked in that I belong to called Rapidployment for West Michigan
    that offers some great job searching advice.

Check it out and good luck
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor