• Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Which TS tickets did you miss?
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1,2,6. My RECURDOWN was resolved, but I hurt something else. I burned a bunch of time on 2, so I didn't even get to 6. You?

ML6 was an eye opener. I thought I was better prepared, but I know where I need to spend some more time. I thought QoS would be my weak spot, but I've been doing a lot better on QoS than security. I made some bonehead mistakes that will be avoided in the future. I need to really pay attention to the details of what they want permitted vs denied in the various security configurations. I need to beat up MPLS and security. I just started through the WBI MPLS workbook again and I will revisit security as well.

On a side note, I received word today that my employer is going to reimburse my lab attempt so that's a plus. We were bought out by another company so I had to wait to receive a decision, but it was decided earlier this week.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    I just looked at the overview of ML7. Wow! This one looks like it will be fun.

CCIE Routing & Switching Mock Lab Assessments
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    jamesp1983 wrote: »
    1,2,7. My RECURDOWN was resolved, but I hurt something else. I burned a bunch of time on 2, so I didn't even get to 6. You?
    2 & 6. I thought I had 6 but the grading script said it couldn't check the config of R5 for some reason. :shrug:
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    2 & 6. I thought I had 6 but the grading script said it couldn't check the config of R5 for some reason. :shrug:

That's really strange. I've had a few issues with grading as well. You did better than I did.
  • Options
    I just wrapped up ML 7. Wow!
  • Options
    ML7 was an eye opener. You had to think outside the box that's for sure, but I enjoy that type of lab. I want to do one of the Cisco 360 TS prep labs, but not sure which one to do.
  • Options
    Somehow i did about average on ML7. I am pleased with that considering I was expecting much worse.
  • Options
    sacredboysacredboy Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi jamesp1983. According to your signature it took you more than a year to prepare for Written exam. Right?
    Best, sacredboy!
  • Options
    It was less than a year. I started in 7/2011, passed in 2/2012. I could have taken it earlier, but I didn't want to rush it.
  • Options
  • Options
    I read it about a month ago. It's 800 pages of "Make sure the interface isn't down. Make sure you typed the right IP address for the BGP neighbor. Make sure your subnet mask is correct".

It's a checklist of just about everything that could be wrong with a particular technology and how to fix it. I didn't find a ton of value in the book.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    That book shows up on the ebook deal of the week ever so often.

I didn't find anything special about this book, you can essentially find everything in the book on Cisco.com. it's also in a weird format for Cisco Press books a problem solution type format, if you see this error message look at this, then this, then this, then this....

If you've dealt with EIGRP/OSPF/BGP for any length time and have had to troubleshoot it I doubt you will learn a great deal from this book. It does have a section for IS-IS and multicast, but I've found it nothing more then a compilation of Cisco.com troubleshooting articles.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I will not be wasting my time on that book then.

17 days until my lab...crap.
  • Options
    I wrapped up TS Lab 3 today. I did well in discovering the cause of the issues, but accidentally violated some restrictions in the process or resolving them.
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    About a week to go, how are you feeling?
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    down77 wrote: »
    About a week to go, how are you feeling?

I'm feeling alright. I've been working around 75-80 hours a week for the past 2 months on various work projects so that hasn't left much time for anything else, but I have been watching videos and sneaking in lab time whenever I can. I've been doing 1 mock lab a week and I feel like that has been helping. I've completed all of the INE TS mock labs so I am over my fear of large topologies now. Any advice?
  • Options
    Here is a useful document if you need a quick refresher on MPLS and how all of the pieces fit together (ignore the inconsistencies and accidental inaccuracies...):

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-3374
  • Options
    I'm feeling alright. I've been working around 75-80 hours a week for the past 2 months on various work projects so that hasn't left much time for anything else, but I have been watching videos and sneaking in lab time whenever I can. I've been doing 1 mock lab a week and I feel like that has been helping. I've completed all of the INE TS mock labs so I am over my fear of large topologies now. Any advice?

Couple things I've learned in the exam process... Don't ignore the obvious, take mental breaks, and most importantly skip questions and come back to them if it takes you more than a few minutes to figure out. In solving other tickets I've had an 'eureka!' moment that helped me solve a previous ticket.

Troubleshooting is mostly about mastering show commands to figure out what is broke, and then knowing how to fix it. Most 2pt tickets have 1-3 errors, and 3 point tickets have 3-8 errors. Make sure you solve at least one 3 point ticket and as many 2 pointers as you can. You have to get at least 17pts on TS to pass.

On configuration don't waste your time trying to redraw the topology. I didn't do this either time, but I did keep the L3 IGP diagram up in the background as I was working on questions. Read through the entire section as you can combine some questions to save time. Speaking of saving, make sure to do a copy run start often and make use of notepad as much as you feel comfortable.

You will do fine! Looking forward to seeing your 5 digit number! This is the year of the CCIE for TE!
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

I just wrapped up ine ml4. I did well on ts, but not as well on config. It had some tricky parts that I blanked on.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

I just wrapped up ine ml4. I did well on ts, but not as well on config. It had some tricky parts that I blanked on.

How much time did you take off this week to head to RTP... exam is coming fast!
  • Options
    down77 wrote: »
    How much time did you take off this week to head to RTP... exam is coming fast!

I took 3 days off from work. I am traveling tomorrow and not planning on studying at all. I am going to look over some of my notes today, but that's it. I can't believe I'm this close to my lab date.
  • Options
    I really enjoyed ML4. I found it challenging, but doable.
  • Options
    Sent you a PM
  • Options
    Heading to RTP...
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Good luck man!!

Slay it man!!
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I just arrived. Time to go check out the area and get familiar with Cisco's campus. The hotel has a shuttle so that will be convenient.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Bring us a win James, we're all barracking for ya!! Bring that number!!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    bryguybryguy Member Posts: 190
    Good luck, buddy! We're all rooting for ya! Bring one home for the TEam!