Options

My CCIE Journey Has Officially Begun.

Comments

• Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks all! I found the building and now I'm just relaxing before going to bed.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Good Luck! Get some rest and I look forward to seeing your thoughts from after the exam.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Good luck man tear it up!!
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • Options
    Game time
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    mhonskymhonsky Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Goodluck!!!
    Reading Hrs for Lab:60
    Lab Hrs: 200

Goal 2013: CCIE R&S ( ) | ITILv3 Foundation ( )
  • Options
    Well, ill be sitting that again. I need to get faster at troubleshooting. I felt really good in my config section. It was nice to finally sit this exam, but I will have a better result next time.
  • Options
    reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
    Don't give up yet unless you received results already? Anyway 1st time is for the most of us needed to get a feel for the lab :) TS is tricky indeed especially in the 1st attempt. Good job and now you have seen the beast and you know you are going to pass this test man :)
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    Sounds like your first time was similar to mine. Second attempt is better because you know what to expect and can focus your energies on taking it down.

On the bright side, you have now faced probably the most grueling exam in all of IT. You know we will all be here to help you achieve your 5 digit number!
  • Options
    reaper81 wrote: »
    Don't give up yet unless you received results already? Anyway 1st time is for the most of us needed to get a feel for the lab :) TS is tricky indeed especially in the 1st attempt. Good job and now you have seen the beast and you know you are going to pass this test man :)

The score report just arrived and confirmed what I suspected. Fail... I think I'm going to go back over WBI and IV for 2 months. I did a little better on TS than I thought I did, but worse on config.
  • Options
    down77 wrote: »
    Sounds like your first time was similar to mine. Second attempt is better because you know what to expect and can focus your energies on taking it down.

On the bright side, you have now faced probably the most grueling exam in all of IT. You know we will all be here to help you achieve your 5 digit number!

Thanks so much for all of your help! I just need to buckle down and keep at it. A lot of the config tasks would have 1 bullet point that would trip me up. What did you do after your first attempt?
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I know it sucks, probably sucks big time, and my words may offer little solace but mate you keep your chin up and keep truckin' forward. Keep moving forward. Blow it to smithereens when you face it in the next round.

Get that damn number man!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
    That's what they'll do to you. Put a task that seems pretty straight forward and then usually there is some twist or one bulle point is kind of tricky. Of course you need to satisfy them all to get the points.

I think you'll be fine next time. If you need any advice on TS ping me.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    I know all too well what you are going through and I promise that believe it or not, its actually a major step forward. Take the weekend to relax and spend time with family. I'll reach out to you early next week and help you formulate a game plan for round two.
  • Options
    I know all too well what you are going through and I promise that believe it or not, its actually a major step forward. Take the weekend to relax and spend time with family. I'll reach out to you early next week and help you formulate a game plan for round two.

Sounds good. Hope you had a good Easter.
  • Options
    Here are my take aways from the CCIE lab (I know several of these points have been beaten to death, but I believe they are worth mentioning again):

1. Time management is key. Stick to 5 minutes per ticket on the TS section. You will run out of time for the more complex tickets if you let yourself spend too much time on a single question. I did prioritize my tickets and saved the hardest for last, but spent too much time on a task before moving on so I had about 15 minutes to solve both of the harder tickets as well as 2 easier tickets that I skipped. The time flies so be aware of it and plan accordingly.
    2. You should go into the lab with a solid TS methodology for each topic. This will help with efficiency as well as accuracy. Never forget to KISS either.
    3. Do a good review of all topics on the blueprint before getting to your lab. There is a lot to do and not a lot of time to do it in so you can't spend a lot of time on basic config.
    4. Don't ignore any topic on the blueprint. Make sure you can config everything on the blueprint no matter what you've heard about the likelihood of it being on the lab. You don't want to be surprised. I had a topic like this that cost me a lot of points.
    5. Read over all of the config tasks prior to starting so that you won't have to make sweeping changes towards the end of your lab.
    6. Make sure you verify your lab at the end. I found that I made several silly mistakes due to the pressure. I was able to correct them, and hopefulily salvage some points.
    7. Do whatever you need to do within reason to stay calm. I lost about 15 minutes transitioning from TS to config because I literally panicked and went completely blank. I think I will get up and walk around after TS on my next attempt to prevent this from happening.
    8. Make sure you do some TS labs with INE/360 before going to your real lab. This will help calm your nerves about the large topology. I'm planning on doing a lot more of these soon.

I finished config (what I could finish) with about 1 hour left, but ran out of time on the TS section. I was thankful for the 1 hour at the end of config so that I could go back and verify some issues. I am going to try some 360 labs, as well as read over Ruhann's notes. I'm planning my next attempt for June/July.

Overall, I thought the test was fair and was an excellent test for Expert level skills.
  • Options
    bryguybryguy Member Posts: 190
    Just another bump on the road to success... You've got it next go around for sure.
  • Options
  • Options
    bryguy wrote: »
    Just another bump on the road to success... You've got it next go around for sure.

Thank you. I'm going to give it everything I've got.
  • Options
    4o7Certified4o7Certified Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry that you didn't get the number on your first attempt but it's encouraging to see that you're still motivated and determined to pass the next go. I would like to know how well did you think the INE R&S bundle assisted you with being prepared for the lab? I'm looking into purchasing it but wanted the opinion of someone who used the product and recently sat for the lab.
  • Options
    Has anyone tried Narbik's Troubleshooting Mock Labs? Can anyone provide more detail?

Micronics Networking & Training Inc. :: Troubleshooting Mocklabs 4.0
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jamesp1983 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried Narbik's Troubleshooting Mock Labs? Can anyone provide more detail?

Micronics Networking & Training Inc. :: Troubleshooting Mocklabs 4.0

Yeah, I posted about it in my thread. Basically equivalent to VOL 2 labs, except it's 15 tickets.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    Thanks. I am definitely going to purchase the product after reading your posts about it.
  • Options
    Sorry that you didn't get the number on your first attempt but it's encouraging to see that you're still motivated and determined to pass the next go. I would like to know how well did you think the INE R&S bundle assisted you with being prepared for the lab? I'm looking into purchasing it but wanted the opinion of someone who used the product and recently sat for the lab.

You can't give up! You have to be persistent. The INE bundle helped me a great deal with the written and the lab. I just need to go over a few topics again and work on my time management. I recommend INE for anyone who wants to pass the CCIE or to just get significantly better at network engineering.
  • Options
    I personally thought the first attempt was worse than the second, mostly due to the stress and not being familiar with the exam scenario. I would concentrate on the areas you know you did weak in and hit as many ts sessions as you can between now and attempt #2.

When are you planning attempt #2?
  • Options
    I personally thought the first attempt was worse than the second, mostly due to the stress and not being familiar with the exam scenario. I would concentrate on the areas you know you did weak in and hit as many ts sessions as you can between now and attempt #2.

When are you planning attempt #2?

Thanks for the advice. I am planning on attempt #2 in June. What TS sessions did you use?
  • Options
    I've gone through 35 sections of WBI, the Bridging and Switching chapter. I want to have all of my core completely mastered before my next attempt.

I'm hoping this review of multiple core topics will also make my TS faster. I'm trying to really zero in on the weak areas as well.
  • Options
    I've been speaking with NMC about their TS labs. The price is pretty steep relative to INE, but I think I will still do it. I like Narbik's offering as well so I might go with both.

I'm shooting for the first week of July for round 2. I'm hoping the extra attention to TS pays off.
  • Options
    I just purchased Narbik's TS workbook. I figured this is money well spent considering some of the reviews that I've read.
  • Options
    There is a pretty good section on OER in WBI, Section 3. Make sure you load the OER config prior to starting. Here are some more resources:

Cisco Performance Routing (PfR) / Optimized Edge Routing (OER) - Part 1
    PfR:Home - DocWiki
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear you didn't get it in the first attempt, but if it wasn't hard we might have people running around with 6 digit or even 7 digit CCIE numbers instead of 5 icon_wink.gif It's been very informative tracking your progress. I hope to be in the same boat in a year or 2! Best of luck with the 2nd attempt!
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi