Options

My CCIE Journey Has Officially Begun.

Comments

• Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've been continuing to cover QoS and Design for this new job. I want to get the written knocked out, but money is a little tight now due to our move, new commute, $1900 in vehicle maintenance, and "settling in" costs. I'm thinking I will be able to take a shot in December. I wrapped up the rest of the INE Written videos last night. I also completed a little bit of practice testing as well. The new job pays for certification training and pays for the exam so I am going to look into that as well. They will pay up to $5200 of training a year (includes books, classes, exam fees, etc). I'm going to see if I can get them to pay for my lab exam as well as my home lab.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jamesp1983 wrote: »
    I've been continuing to cover QoS and Design for this new job. I want to get the written knocked out, but money is a little tight now due to our move, new commute, $1900 in vehicle maintenance, and "settling in" costs. I'm thinking I will be able to take a shot in December. I wrapped up the rest of the INE Written videos last night. I also completed a little bit of practice testing as well. The new job pays for certification training and pays for the exam so I am going to look into that as well. They will pay up to $5200 of training a year (includes books, classes, exam fees, etc). I'm going to see if I can get them to pay for my lab exam as well as my home lab.

You are doing well since you kicked off in July. I think if you can wrap up 2011 with a written pass and settle into the new job by year end you are nicely placed for the 1000 lab hour desert walk through 2012.
  • Options
    I just wrapped up the chapter on congestion management(Chp5) in the QoS Exam Guide. I arrived at work 30 minutes early today so I used that time to wrap up the last few pages of the chapter. Traffic Policing and Shaping is the next chapter. I want to read this entire book hopefully over the next week (about 318 pages left). I got stuck at work last night for an extra hour working with a security guy on a routing/nat/vpn issue so I didn't get as much studying in as I wanted to, but we did fix the issue(s).

Some congestion management notes:
    -Interfaces above 2.048 Mbps use FIFO

-WFQ = default on serial links slower than 2.048Mbps (prefers low volume traffic to high volume, prefers higher precedence to lower, flow based (not class-based), dynamic queue assignment, no concept of llq. "fair-queue" enables this method (full syntax="fair-queue [congestive-discard-threshold [dynamic-queues [reservable-queues(RSVP)]]]". offers fair queueing to multiple queues based on weight, (4096 to be exact, with a queue length of 4096 packets) , can be TOO fair with a lot of queues.

-CBWFQ = use MQC to classify traffic, apply a phb (policy-map) to a class of traffic, and then apply to an interface (service-policy). Can match on prec, dscp, cos, nbar, etc. You use the "bandwidth" command (syntax = "bandwith kbps", "bandwidth percent value", "bandwidth remaining percent value") to assign a minimum bandwidth during periods of congestion to your traffic classes. You can also use the "priority command" (syntax = "priority bandwidth-kbps [burst] " to assign traffic classes to an LLQ which is serviced before the other queues, but unlike PQ this queue is policed so that the LLQ can't starve out the other queues. You should assign voip traffic to priority queues. The "priority" command sets a maximum bw guarantee. During periods of congestion the LLQ is restricted to its bandwidth setting, but during periods of no congestion the LLQ is allowed to exceed its bandwidth.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_0/qos/configuration/guide/qcconman.html
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk543/tk757/technologies_tech_note09186a0080103eae.shtml
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/qos/command/reference/qrfcmd6.html#wp1036073
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk543/tk757/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094968.shtml#model

Command ref:

-Queue depth can be set with "hold-queue value out"(up to 4096.) (controls outbound software queue, inbound is set via the "in" keyword)
    -"tx-ring-limit" sets the outbound packet limit for the hardware queue.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    You are doing well since you kicked off in July. I think if you can wrap up 2011 with a written pass and settle into the new job by year end you are nicely placed for the 1000 lab hour desert walk through 2012.

I hope so. I would really like to wrap up the lab by end of 2012.
  • Options
    I spent today working on some MPLS VPN labs on gns3vault.net. The configs did start making sense around the 2nd implementation. I just redid one from memory and have some questions, but I will answer them tonight.

Useful MPLS links:
    Troubleshooting Any Transport over MPLS Based VPNs > Configuring MPLS VPNs
    Configuring MPLS Basic VPN with RIP on Customer Side* [MPLS] - Cisco Systems
    http://gns3vault.com/Table/MPLS/
  • Options
    I just wrapped up the chapter (chp6) on traffic policing and shaping in the QoS Exam Guide. I am planning on doing an entire write up on the different commands and strategies (this helps me tie all the commands together and make sense of them). On to congestion avoidance (chp 7) in the QoS Guide. I'm considering buying the Netmaster written product. I have really enjoyed doing their daily question each day. I am a little behind in my QoS studies due to the move and new job, but I'm planning on rallying this week to wrap up this guide (about 220 pages left). I should be able to get in for my written the last week of this month.

Policing and Shaping command reference:
    Shaping:
    (class-based, in policy map):
    -"shape average cir bc(in bits) be (in bits)" (average replenishes bc, overflow fills be, can only send be after periods of inactivity in tc)
    -"shape peak cir bc(in bits) be (in bits)" (peak replenishes bc+be every tc and allows to send bc+be in each tc)
    -Shaping can only be applied Outbound.
    -shaping is typically used by a customer to shape (conform) (prepare)(smooth) traffic to be policed.
    -tc=bc/CIR, bc=tc*CIR

Policing
    -Policing can be placed in our outbound.
    -Its typically found ingress on provider side (enforces CIR).
    -will drop or remark packets that exceed cir.
    -bc and be defined in bytes, not bits like in shape commands.
    -colors = actions (conform, exceed, violate)
    -rates = single (CIR), or dual (CIR and PIR)
    -"police (bps) burst-norm(bytes) burst-max(bytes) conform-action (action) exceed-action (action) violate-action (action)"
    a. possible police actions:
    i. drop
    ii. set-prec-transmit (prec)
    iii. set-qos-transmit (qosgroup)
    iv. transmit
    v. set-dscp-transmit (dscp value)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/qos/configuration/guide/qcfpoli_ps1835_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html
    http://blog.ine.com/2008/08/26/understanding-the-shape-peak-command/
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    jamesp1983--

Glad to hear the new job is going well as it seems challenging yet rewarding.

Keep up the good work!
  • Options
    lsud00d wrote: »
    jamesp1983--

Glad to hear the new job is going well as it seems challenging yet rewarding.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks man. I have already done some things that I've never done before so that is always good.
  • Options
    I am on day 2 of on-the-job Cisco VoIP training being handled by a consulting company. Wow, there is a lot to it. We have about 23 sites and over 2k employees. Myself and 1 other engineer are in charge of all of the networking side of things (we won't be provisioning phones, but that's about it). This is a quick training provided by the company that is implementing the Voice devices. We will have a 2 week training in about a month at a training center. I'm hoping its not detrimental to my CCIE studies.
  • Options
    If you are taking over responsibilities on that scale for VoIP you will be utterly swamped soon. Are you still doing 30 - 36 hours a week study like you planned when you started out?
  • Options
    If you are taking over responsibilities on that scale for VoIP you will be utterly swamped soon. Are you still doing 30 - 36 hours a week study like you planned when you started out?

No. I have been trying to wrap my head around a lot of the new company's technology as well as moving piece by piece to the new house everynight. I am completely worthless by the time I get home. I walked into a lead position on my team so there is a lot on my shoulders. You know how that is. I have to be 10 steps ahead of my team on all of our projects and issues. I do however study whenever I have a free moment, but not putting in the hours I wanted to before.
  • Options
    I wrapped up the Congestion Avoidance chapter last night (Chapter 7). Nothing new here. I will post up commands today. I like to post summaries here for both my own benefit as well as hopefully, the benefit of others. Writing out the commands, terminology, and descriptions helps me tie it together. I understand the usefulness of having a blog and thing I might start one. I only have 3 chapters left in the QoS book. I will start on chapter 8 today (Link Efficiency Tools).

I just wrapped up a 3 day class on Cisco VoIP. It was intense and beneficial. I am really enjoying having a job where I can 100% focus on networking.
  • Options
    I just started the chapter on Link Efficiency Tools. I am going to add more to this post as I read on... Payload Compression vs Header Compression... I was told that I am allowed to study on the clock as long as our work is done. Nice! I set up some switches on my desk and have been reading over the QoS Guide.
  • Options
    TesseracTTesseracT Member Posts: 167
    Holy crap, I haven't logged in here for a while but your hours are killing it james. I remember when I had more reading hours than you hehe. I've been busy with work and life, lots of travel lately for work (I've been to 3 cities and 2 countries today) but it's no excuse to not study.You're killing this thing. Keep it up buddy, I've enjoyed reading your progress.

All the best
  • Options
    TesseracT wrote: »
    Holy crap, I haven't logged in here for a while but your hours are killing it james. I remember when I had more reading hours than you hehe. I've been busy with work and life, lots of travel lately for work (I've been to 3 cities and 2 countries today) but it's no excuse to not study.You're killing this thing. Keep it up buddy, I've enjoyed reading your progress.

All the best

Thanks man. Welcome back! We've missed ya. What countries did you go to? I had a 2 week slow down due to starting a new job (and having to start wrapping my head around Cisco voice), but I'm picking up again. I look forward to seeing your progress. Take care!
  • Options
    No. I have been trying to wrap my head around a lot of the new company's technology as well as moving piece by piece to the new house everynight. I am completely worthless by the time I get home. I walked into a lead position on my team so there is a lot on my shoulders. You know how that is. I have to be 10 steps ahead of my team on all of our projects and issues. I do however study whenever I have a free moment, but not putting in the hours I wanted to before.

I understand. You wont be able to for a while. Knuckle down at work and at home and when you have that working better for you regroup on the studies.
  • Options
    I read all but about 10 pages of Chp 8 last night.(Link Efficiency Tools) I read a little more this morning since I get to work about 30 minutes early each day. I have about 6 pages left of the chapter. I want to gain a really good understanding of all of these compression/fragmentation methods so that I can remove some Packeteer devices at each of our sites. They do compression and we don't want to lose that functionality so I'll have to configure some form of compression on our routers.
  • Options
    Just tipped the 200 hour mark for CCIE Written studies...

I'm trying to decide on my next move... I think I might either just read over Ruhann's notes and do the practice tests then just take the written, or read both of the Routing TCP/IP volumes/do practice tests/read Ruhann's notes/and then take the written...
  • Options
    Just tipped the 200 hour mark for CCIE Written studies...

I'm trying to decide on my next move... I think I might either just read over Ruhann's notes and do the practice tests then just take the written, or read both of the Routing TCP/IP volumes/do practice tests/read Ruhann's notes/and then take the written...

You need to batter the Odom and Bosen tests to prepare for the written, forget Ruhann's notes..then pass the written and work towards 1000 lab hours in 2012.

Only three bloggers on TE will be CCIE's next year. I will be one. Leaves two.
  • Options
    I'm planning on hitting the QoS book and Boson hard this week. We had some pretty big projects over the weekend so I planned and tested the changes on my home equipment on Saturday. I also set up my home lab to be wireless so that I can be anywhere in the house and connect to it so that is making labbing the INE workbooks a lot easier. My laptop motherboard died on me last week so I have to get a new one so that is not helping me out.
  • Options
    You need to batter the Odom and Bosen tests to prepare for the written, forget Ruhann's notes..then pass the written and work towards 1000 lab hours in 2012.

Okay. When are you taking yours?
  • Options
    reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
    Congrats on 200 hours! That should leave you well prepared for the written. I think my final count was 235h for the written. Ruhanns notes are more suitable for lab exam in my opinion so focus on Boson and Cert Guide questions. Good luck!
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    reaper81 wrote: »
    Congrats on 200 hours! That should leave you well prepared for the written. I think my final count was 235h for the written. Ruhanns notes are more suitable for lab exam in my opinion so focus on Boson and Cert Guide questions. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice man! I'm hoping to follow in your footsteps. I'd like to get in around 230-250 hours of reading in for the written. I appreciate it!
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024

Ah, but remember, some of us don't blog ;)
  • Options
    Ah, but remember, some of us don't blog ;)

Well then you will have to grab that other slot then wont you ;) I hope your studies are going well.
  • Options
    Okay. When are you taking yours?

Summer 2012.
  • Options
    1 chapter (QoS Best Practices, 60 pages) left of the QoS book. Very helpful considering that I'm about to roll out QoS to all of our sites in anticipation of this VoIP deployment. I've read numerous docs on Cisco's site on various aspects of QoS and have labbed up the proposed configs. This last run through of QoS has really been beneficial. I've just tried to read everything I could find and that really helped me gain a better understanding of QoS overall. Also, thinking in terms of how I could implement it in my infrastructure has really helped me grasp the material at a deeper level than I had previously.
  • Options
    I just wrapped up the QoS Exam Guide. I started deploying QoS to all of our distribution and access layer switches today at work and that is really helping me comprehend all of it.
  • Options
    I just wrapped up the QoS Exam Guide. I started deploying QoS to all of our distribution and access layer switches today at work and that is really helping me comprehend all of it.

Keep it up James. We only have about 3 bloggers going strong at the moment.
  • Options
    Anybody know what happened to Netmaster's question of the day?