Options

Test Preparation - Part III

saif_ulsaif_ul Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Gotta question for you Gurus!

I've been studying Mayer's All In One book. Just wanna make sure that the following both chapters are for Core Hardware Exam...
    Hard Drive Technologies Implementing Hard Drives

Thank you to let me know.

Comments

• Options
    reloadedreloaded Member Posts: 235
    I haven't read the book, but if the chapter talks about installing the actual hard drive and talks about sectors, clusters, cylinders, etc., then it's Core Hardware. If it starts to talk about FDISK, FAT, conversion to NTFS, etc, then it's OS.
    Reloaded~4~Ever
  • Options
    Is there anyone here whou have already read the book Myer's 'All in One'...would let me know abt the question above pleeeease?

Thanx>
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Best way.

If you haven't gone to comptia.com and downloaded the current A+ objectives, do it now. Then you can tell from the objectives what is Core and what is OS. There is a little overlap--must be--can't be helped.

I took my exam in 2003 under older objectives. Not sure about All-in-One fifth edition. I would advise that you read the chapters. It's all relevant to becoming A+ certified.

I took exams same day back-to-back, so I never really made a differentiation. Don't try to divide it up so much. After all, you have to know it all before you can become certified. I just studied as one exam with 2 parts. I did read All-In-One, fourth edition. I think Meyers himself advises to read the whole book first time through just to get an overall view. Then read 2nd time and highlite or underline the most outstanding things that you read. That way you will have an overall view of the Certificate and also be able to review and quickly see the most important parts instead of reading whole paragraphs during review.

This is what I would do. Best of luck.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    caustikcaustik Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    that book is not broken up by objectives that way, and os/ core are mostly mixed up and out of order. I used the objectives list to sort it out
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    saif_ul wrote:
    Is there anyone here whou have already read the book Myer's 'All in One'...would let me know abt the question above pleeeease?

Thanx>

Think reloaded summed it up already.

Otherwise, the best suggestion have is the same that has been stated by janmike and caustik.....the only real way to 'know' is to study the objectives.

The reality of using an A+ will be having an understanding of HOW hardware intermixes with OS's.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    janmike,

thanx man! basically i'm approaching the same way as u hv prescribed. only difference is ... bcoz of work and school load, i hv to split the exams. thaz why i'm goin to take the hardware core first month and the os on the following month (2 months period time frmae goal). may be thaz why i was asking the question to y'all. bcoz in 'all in one' fifth edition book ... fat file/ dskchk / disk fragment are all in one chapter. i know fat file and etc info always go to os segment...while disk check, disk-fragment, etc stay on hardware segment.

but i appreciate all yr inputs. i'll ask may be time to time some more questions...hopefully y'all not be troubled.
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Ask anytime that you need to. That's the whole TechExams idea.

And Good luck on your studies. You have an ambitious plan going. We're all pullin' for you here.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki