Options

Career Decision

I completed a phone interview and they will set up the interview shortly.

-I am currently employed working full time (mid 20's)
-I live with my parents and I don't need to pay for utilities/fees

The new opportunity consists of 3 months unpaid training and may turn into full time once training is done. The job posting looks promising and but my concern is what if they don't hire me after the 3 months training? then i will be unemployed and have to start my job search all over.

This new opportunity is my dream job though. However, I am afraid to be unemployed because I went through it all in 2009.

Take the risk or stay at my current helpdesk job?

Advice?

Comments

• Options
    cvuong1984cvuong1984 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That's very risky imo...

I would suggest this to you.

Possibly take a one week vacation, and do this no pay training for one week.
    If you like it quit your previous job.

If you don't then stop the training.

2 week notice is(and correct me if I'm wrong) a courtesy, it is not necessary.

But, If you are expecting your parents to pay your bills/depts for the next 3 months, best get their opinion.
    X
  • Options
    nhan.ngnhan.ng Member Posts: 184
    You sure it's not some type of scam that they're trying to get you to work for them for FREE?

unpaid training for 3months and MAY get hired? hmmm, sounds like interning.
  • Options
    cvuong1984cvuong1984 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It may be a scam, but if its ACTUAL free training? The knowledge may be worth more then 3 month pay.

Say they train him on Cisco material and provide real world experience??
    He only has to cram for a CCNA, and can turn his 20k a year into 50-70K+ (depending on location) within a year.
    X
  • Options
    Moki99Moki99 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Scam or not, I wouldn't mind 3 months of free training! As long as its not helpdesk hw/sw support.
  • Options
    baseball1988baseball1988 Member Posts: 119
    Thanks for your insight.

It doesn't look like a scam This company deals with fortune 500 companies and there are real logos on their site.

I couldn't book a vacation all of a sudden because it requires approval (could take a couple weeks). They will teach me how to use industry-related tools and applications and all.

Im' not afraid of unpaid training. But im more worried about not getting the job after the training.

It's a big risk.
  • Options
    ArmymanisArmymanis Member Posts: 304
    If I were you, id find something else and stay at your help desk job.
  • Options
    bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233
    Armymanis wrote: »
    If I were you, id find something else and stay at your help desk job.

Seconded. This may or may not be a scam, but even if it's not do you really want to leave having a job for maybe getting a job? You're just going to have to make that judgement call and decide what is more important to you. Maybe your current job is making you feel stagnant, and taking this possible opportunity would help. Or, maybe this opportunity is in fact not legit, and going after it would be a huge step backwards for you. My Dad would probably say something like "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush", which I think applies here. Whatever you choose, good luck to you.
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Thanks for your insight.

It doesn't look like a scam This company deals with fortune 500 companies and there are real logos on their site.

I couldn't book a vacation all of a sudden because it requires approval (could take a couple weeks). They will teach me how to use industry-related tools and applications and all.

Im' not afraid of unpaid training. But im more worried about not getting the job after the training.

It's a big risk.

What specifically have they told you the training entails ? example: hardware/software support, Server/Network administration? for no pay for 3 months I would ask for some pretty hardcore details on what to expect
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    skinsFan202skinsFan202 Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If this is with 'LAN/WAN Professionals' I think that is a scam. Where they give you 3-4 months of training in return for a portion of your salary if you get a job after. What is the company who is offering you 3 months of training gaining in return? No company would 'freely' give out 3 months of solid training for nothing in return
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    nhan.ng wrote: »
    You sure it's not some type of scam that they're trying to get you to work for them for FREE?

Definitely sounds like a scam. Nothing in this world is free. I'd stay far away.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You say you were able to see the site. Can you post a link here for us?
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I agree with the others, do not do it. 3 month unpaid training is a BIG red flag, IMO. Keep your current job, work on a cert or two, and apply for other positions.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com