Options

passed CCNA today!!

superbabe_uksuperbabe_uk Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
one of the few FEMALES here - I passed CCNA (920/1000) today. Very pleased!!

I used probably all study resources out there (and spent a fortune)

Wendell Odom ICND1 + ICND2 - MAINLY
Todd Lammle - ONLY BRIEFLY
CCNA TV on Cisco website (GREAT)
CBT Nuggets (unbearable but very helpful)
31 Days Before your CCNA exam (OK - ordered it 3 days before exam LOL)
Boson ExamSim (GREAT)

my advice would be to practice and memorise all of the practice SIM questions out there because most of the ones in my exam today I had already come across before! I was really surprised.

For anyone using the Boson ExamSim - they are GREAT for practicing but I found them MUCH HARDER than the actual exam. I kept failing them - so don't panic if you don't do too well on them.

icon_thumright.gif

Comments

• Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!

Nice job.

icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    njktnjkt Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Why did you find the CBTNuggets videos unbearable?
    I think they lack a lot of depth but not unbearable.

Just curious.
  • Options
    ccnaomkarccnaomkar Member Posts: 187 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats and thanks for supplying others preparing for the exam with feedback on study materials!
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    njkt wrote: »
    Why did you find the CBTNuggets videos unbearable?
    I think they lack a lot of depth but not unbearable.

Just curious.
    oh well, don't get me started. After a while I got so tired of hearing about Jeremy's private life, what he bought in the supermarket that morning or what kind of beer he likes best. he just comes up with random rubbish completely off-topic and thinks it's amusing.

Plus, he gets things wrong all the time and then has to go back, correct it, "oh I'm so sorry, what am I doing here, let me pause the video", correct his spelling mistakes in the commands etc. that wastes time and makes it harder to focus on the subject.
  • Options
    THA_DOCTHA_DOC Member Posts: 99 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the Pass!
    An Open Mind, Working to Get IT!:cheers:

DOC
  • Options
    njktnjkt Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    oh well, don't get me started. After a while I got so tired of hearing about Jeremy's private life, what he bought in the supermarket that morning or what kind of beer he likes best. he just comes up with random rubbish completely off-topic and thinks it's amusing.

Plus, he gets things wrong all the time and then has to go back, correct it, "oh I'm so sorry, what am I doing here, let me pause the video", correct his spelling mistakes in the commands etc. that wastes time and makes it harder to focus on the subject.

yeah i got you, I can see how someone studying for this exam would be frustrated with his tangents on top of the shallow content.
  • Options
    Chris_Chris_ Member Posts: 326
    Congrats on the pass. With you on Jeremy's randomness - very annoying

Good to see some women popping up in this male dominated enviromnment.icon_thumright.gif
    Going all out for Voice. Don't worry Data; I'll never forget you
    :study: CVoice [X] CIPT 1 [ ] CIPT 2 [ ] CAPPS [ ] TVOICE [ ]
  • Options
    YuuYuu Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes, she certainly lives up to her nick icon_cheers.gif

Congrats, may you succeed in all that you thinking of doing from now on :D
  • Options
    bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233

As soon as you said "rubbish", I knew your location without even checking lol... I have some family from across the pond, so I know a bit of the lingo lol. Congratulations on the huge pass!
  • Options
    JohnnyBigglesJohnnyBiggles Member Posts: 273
    Congrats! Passed my CCENT today and hope to be in you position soon!
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Congrats to you! What's next, CCNP?
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • Options
    thanks so much for the congrats! I am so pleased about it.

I don't think I would tackle the CCNP before having any real-life work experience in the Cisco/networking world. I'm starting the MCITP in September as I would like to see what kind of area I enjoy most.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    passed CCNA
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    asoftasoft Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!

Did you get any simulation questions in VLAN/VTP objectives?
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    That's a nice score to walk away with. Then again, it also looks like you were very well-prepared going in, so it shouldn't be all too surprising that all that hard work paid off. Big congratulations on the pass, (I was going to ask 'what's next' but it looks like you've already answered that already.)
    I don't think I would tackle the CCNP before having any real-life work experience in the Cisco/networking world. I'm starting the MCITP in September as I would like to see what kind of area I enjoy most.
    I think, as long as you can get your hands on some lab-equipment, you'd be in good shape to start looking at the CCNP material pretty much whenever you feel like it. However, I think you've got a good plan in the works, heading over to Microsoft-land for a bit to see where your preferences lie. Good luck with your MCITP-studies. icon_thumright.gif
    asoft wrote: »
    Did you get any simulation questions in VLAN/VTP objectives?
    Answering that question would violate the Cisco Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) the op signed off on before sitting for the exam. You can't talk about specific questions you saw on the exam, nor what (if any) sims you had to do.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Congratulations!
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    Congrats on the pass!

I passed in May. Does anyone know if Cisco sends out a paper certificate? It's been about 8 weeks and I haven't heard anything yet.
  • Options
    Congrats on the pass!

I passed in May. Does anyone know if Cisco sends out a paper certificate? It's been about 8 weeks and I haven't heard anything yet.

I certainly hope so! I have an empty picture frame waiting for it icon_thumright.gif

Just after I passed I received an email from Pearson VUE that asked me to click on a link and verify my details for the paper certificate. Did you receive that too?
  • Options

Just after I passed I received an email from Pearson VUE that asked me to click on a link and verify my details for the paper certificate. Did you receive that too?

An email to from Pearson to verify your details huh? I didn't get an email lol. I passed July 15th and haven't heard anything since. I figure I'd give it some more time, but this email you got makes me curious. I'm like everyone else, after I pass the exam I want that paper to show it off lol.

And the guy above said he passed in May and still hasn't heard/received anything. I'll probably call Pearson Vue and see what they say..
  • Options
    ok guys, sorry - as there seems to be confusion about paper certificates I went back to double check the emails. The one from Pearson VUE was actually about something else.

THIS email I received from ciscotraining-notify almost immediately after I had passed the exam.

Dear xxx xxx,

Congratulations on successfully completing the CCNA certification requirements. Candidates are automatically assigned a unique Cisco ID number after taking a Cisco Career Certification exam. Your Cisco ID number is CSCO12000780. This Cisco ID number will be listed on your certificate and should be referenced when registering for additional Cisco exams to prevent delay on receiving proper credit for your exam(s).

To ensure you receive your CCNA certificate with the correct spelling of your name, please verify your name and address by accessing your Personal Information on the Certification Tracking System at Shortcut Redirect - Cisco Systems.

If the name is incorrect a support agent will need to correct it as soon as possible to ensure your certificate reflects the correct spelling. Please contact the Certification Support Center at Shortcut Redirect - Cisco Systems.

If the address is incorrect or if you would like to use a different mailing address, login to the Certification Tracking System using the following instructions:

• Go to the Certification Tracking System at Shortcut Redirect - Cisco Systems (If you are a first time user to the Certification Tracking System, click on the link under "Register for the first time" from the home page.)
    • Once logged in, click the "Update Personal Info" link.
    • If your mailing address is listed incorrectly please correct it. Under this section you may also update your email address, and phone number.
    • Once you have updated your personal information click on the "Submit" button.

Your certificate will be mailed to the new address you provided.

NOTE: Printed certificates cannot be sent to a P.O. Box.

NOTE: If a localized shipping label is created, it must match the preferred mailing address in your profile.

NOTE: Any profile updates must be done within 5 calendar days of receiving this notification. Otherwise, the certificate will be shipped with the information as noted above.

If the name and address listed above are correct, no action is required on your part. Your printed certificate will be automatically mailed to the address listed above. Please allow 6-8 weeks for your printed certificate to arrive.

Certificate Preference:

The Cisco Career Certifications program provides certified candidates the option to select either an electronic copy (PDF format), or a printed copy of their certificate. Both versions are suitable for framing.

Electronic certificates are available in 3-5 business days from the day of your request. Email instructions will be sent to you on how to download your electronic certificate.

To obtain an electronic certificate copy:
    • Go to the Tracking System: Shortcut Redirect - Cisco Systems
    • Click on Certification Fulfillment
    • Next to "Fulfillment Preference" select Electronic (PDF via Email)
    • Click Save Preference and Continue

NOTE: This must be done within 5 calendar days of receiving this notification. Otherwise a printed certificate will be mailed to you automatically.

If the name and address listed above are correct, and you would like to receive a printed certificate, no action is required. Your printed certificate will be automatically mailed to the address listed above. Please allow 6-8 weeks for your printed certificate to arrive.

NOTE: If a localized shipping label is created, it must match the preferred mailing address in your profile.

Shipping Preference:

If you would like to receive your certificate with trackable shipping, you may upgrade the shipment by selecting the UPS option. Additional costs will apply.

To upgrade the shipment of your certificate:
    • Go to the Tracking System: Shortcut Redirect - Cisco Systems
    • Click on Certification Fulfillment
    • Next to the certification of choice, select “trackable” in the pull down menu
    • Once directed to the Certification Fulfillment Tracking and Reporting page, you will be able to select UPS shipping with tracking for either US or International delivery

NOTE: The option to upgrade shipping is only available within the first five calendar days from the date of this email notification. If the “Upgrade” option is unavailable then the five calendar days have passed and your certificate has already been shipped to you via regular US mail.

Certified individuals are entitled to one certificate version, either an electronic copy or a printed copy, at no cost. If you would like to purchase additional copies (electronic or printed) click on "Certification Fulfillment" and follow the instructions provided on the screen.

For any other program related inquiries, please visit Certification Online Support at Shortcut Redirect - Cisco Systems.
  • Options
    Thank you very much. Since this was my first Cisco cert, I wasn't aware of the Certification Tracking System. Turns out it costs 5$ for them to send you a soft copy PDF and 15$ for a hard copy plus wallet card.. Noooooo! lol
  • Options
    polevectorpolevector Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Was there an ios help available for lab questions? Or complete syntax should be memorized?
  • Options
    Aaron_BAaron_B Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    kellyelkellyel Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CONGRATS!!! icon_thumright.gif

I don't know you but I am pleased that there are other women out there who are getting certified. I just started my studies and I too have liked the ICND1 and ICND2 books. I do not like the CBT nugget videos although my husband loves them. I do not dislike them but I need him to stop with the excess chatter. How long have you been preparing and where you already in the field prior to starting. I am new to the field and am just trying to find my groove with learning all of this new information. Any pointers you can give will be much appreciated. Congrats again icon_cheers.gif

Cheers
  • Options
    kellyel wrote: »
    CONGRATS!!! icon_thumright.gif

I don't know you but I am pleased that there are other women out there who are getting certified. I just started my studies and I too have liked the ICND1 and ICND2 books. I do not like the CBT nugget videos although my husband loves them. I do not dislike them but I need him to stop with the excess chatter. How long have you been preparing and where you already in the field prior to starting. I am new to the field and am just trying to find my groove with learning all of this new information. Any pointers you can give will be much appreciated. Congrats again icon_cheers.gif

Cheers
    I basically started by spending a few weeks browsing through a Comptia N+ study guide. Just to get familiar with the basic concepts of Ethernet, routing, switching, OSI Layer Model etc. and terminology. But only very vaguely not in-depth.

Then I took this course
    Cisco Certified Network Associate(CCNA) courses in London - Demanded Courses IN LONDON (London, UK)

6 full days over 6 weeks. The course gave me a great insight into all exam objectives and introduced me to packet tracer. After the course I spent a good two months working through Wendell Odom's books to get into more detail of what I had come across in the class. About three weeks before the exam I took a few practice exams and realised I failed all of them horrendously LOL I panicked for a bit, then pulled myself together and got the CBT Nuggets to watch. After watching those I went back to the books again and re-read the main chapters.

then passed!

I would certainly recommend this path icon_cool.gif