Options

Fe vs Fa

NicoleMNicoleM Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello!

I'm new here, and tried doing a search on the difference between Fe and Fa but didn't find anything, so thought I'd ask.

I have a router that has an interface labeled Fe and one labeled Fa. Are they the same but just have two different cards (one older?) in it?

I assume they are both "fast ethernet" but wanted another opinion.

Thanx!
Nicole

Comments

• Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    NicoleM wrote: »
    Hello!

I'm new here, and tried doing a search on the difference between Fe and Fa but didn't find anything, so thought I'd ask.

I have a router that has an interface labeled Fe and one labeled Fa. Are they the same but just have two different cards (one older?) in it?

I assume they are both "fast ethernet" but wanted another opinion.

Thanx!
    Nicole

What model is the router?
  • Options
    They are 2811's (IP routers).

And actually, I don't have access to the two in question, but my IT guy said the interfaces were labeled Fa (logically); however, physically (what i CAN see) they are labeled Fe and on our monitoring platform (orion), they are labeled "FastEthernet0/0 - Fa0/0".

So.. ya, I'm confused. Same smell, different flavor or something completely different? My 2811's (ITPs) are labeled Fe logically and physically.

Maybe it's leftover lingo from something of which I'm not aware? Any light on the subject would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    njktnjkt Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    NicoleM wrote: »
    They are 2811's (IP routers).

And actually, I don't have access to the two in question, but my IT guy said the interfaces were labeled Fa (logically); however, physically (what i CAN see) they are labeled Fe and on our monitoring platform (orion), they are labeled "FastEthernet0/0 - Fa0/0".

So.. ya, I'm confused. Same smell, different flavor or something completely different? My 2811's (ITPs) are labeled Fe logically and physically.

Maybe it's leftover lingo from something of which I'm not aware? Any light on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

(someone feel free to correct me)

Logically Fa should simply be an abbreviation for FastEthernet (similar to abbreviated commands ex: sh ip int br for show ip interface brief)
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    doesn't make a difference just renaming
    FA = FAstethernet
    FE = FastEthernet
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    thank you for the info, just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing something.

much appreciated.