Options

New CCNA lab, need help with Console cable > PC

johnnyarksjohnnyarks Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all, long time lurker...

so after not being happy with packet tracer, I tried GNS3, love it, but no switching... so on to real equipment for me.

So I just spent entirely way to much money on a Cisco lab from ebay... ~$564* icon_rolleyes.gif:
3 2621 = $159 ($53ea)
1 2610 = $35 <--frame relay switch
2 2950 = $90 ($45ea)
5 WIC-2T = $123.7 ($25ea)
1 AS2509 = $130
3 SS cables = $24 ($8ea)
RS232>USB cable = $3.19

I originally only wanted to spend $300 tops...smh

... Any how, I have a computer that has no serial/com ports, a quick ebay check for "console to usb"... I quickly found $30-40 for a f*cKiN' cable? god... has anyone here purchased Serial > USB cables that they Know works for use w/ cisco console connection ? ... or better yet a cheap serial pci/e card to put in my pc ? a quick google search I see cables from $2-$50... help.... I'm using Windows 7 64bit fyi...

Comments

• Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    MAC_Addy wrote: »

Do you have a 64bit OS? From looking around that seems to be the biggest issue with these things... 64bit drivers, or 32bit ones that are compatible
  • Options
    bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233
    Another alternative would be a cheap serial card. Might even be able to score one for free (I miss the old grab bags at Radio Shack icon_cry.gif).
  • Options
    Another alternative would be a cheap serial card. Might even be able to score one for free (I miss the old grab bags at Radio Shack icon_cry.gif).

yea I was just looking at some on amazon for $10, I just bought a Generic RS232 > USB from ebay for $3.19, hope this works if it doesn't, then I'll get the pci card.
  • Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    johnnyarks wrote: »
    yea I was just looking at some on amazon for $10, I just bought a Generic RS232 > USB from ebay for $3.19, hope this works if it doesn't, then I'll get the pci card.

I'm using a USB to Serial on Windows 7 64 bit with no issues. The company did not have drivers, but searching on google someone had posted the chipset driver from another company.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Options
    MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    For anyone searching in the future. I bought this serial-usb adapter: Cables To Go 1-Foot USB To Serial Db-9 Male RS-232 Cable at TigerDirect.com . Drivers available on their website. I use it with Win 7 Pro 64-bit, zero issues.
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Another thing you may want to look for is the cable being able to support the break sequence for password recovery.. Some of the the db9-to-usb cables out there specify that they support using the break sequence (i.e. to enter rommon mode while booting the router), which leads me to believe, that some do not.

Btw I'm currently doing the same thing. Piecing out my lab on ebay. I just gotta have the hands on too because it's crazy how many frustrating little things you run into while setting them up, but it really helps you learn lol
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • Options
    MrBrian wrote: »
    Another thing you may want to look for is the cable being able to support the break sequence for password recovery.. Some of the the db9-to-usb cables out there specify that they support using the break sequence (i.e. to enter rommon mode while booting the router), which leads me to believe, that some do not...

hmm...do you think this could effect the switching feature on an Access server ?
  • Options
    billyrbillyr Member Posts: 186
    hmm...do you think this could effect the switching feature on a Access server ?

No, you should be fine there. All you will be doing is suspending & swapping between telnet sessions.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do you have a 64bit OS? From looking around that seems to be the biggest issue with these things... 64bit drivers, or 32bit ones that are compatible

If you clicked on the link and read the description you'll see that it's compatible with Windows 7 64 bit.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S