Options

Computer Class Ideas?

101010101010 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
I work for a small PC Repair shop and recently had a discussion with my boss about offering a "Computer Basics" type class once a month. I know how I would like to do it, but it is the what that I am having trouble with.

So what kind of basic classes would you recommend I offer. Keeping in mind my target audience is more or less computer illiterate.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. icon_cheers.gif
2017 Goals:
[x] GCIH

"Well if you're going to have delusions of grandeur, may as well go for the really satisfying ones." - Marcus, Babylon 5

Comments

• Options
    nhan.ngnhan.ng Member Posts: 184
    MC have been doing their in store classes for a while now. I dont go so I'm not sure what it's like or who actually go there....but check it out:

Micro Center In-store Clinics
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ask the people who come what they'd like to learn about.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would definitely include a topic about phishing and social engineering. No, that popup you see on your computer saying it found 1,225 viruses is just an ad, not real.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I would definitely include a topic about phishing and social engineering. No, that popup you see on your computer saying it found 1,225 viruses is just an ad, not real.

It depends on where's that popup coming from though since it could be from the antivirus icon_lol.gif But then of course, no one gets that many viruses out of nowhere with most antiviruses on the market.
  • Options
    @nhan: Thanks for the link, it gave me a few good ideas.

Oh absolutely, a large portion of our work is related to 'Fake AV' induced panic attacks. icon_lol.gif

Im also thinking of doing one centered on the importance of updateing and the wonder that is Secunia.
    2017 Goals:
    [x] GCIH

"Well if you're going to have delusions of grandeur, may as well go for the really satisfying ones." - Marcus, Babylon 5
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    101010 wrote: »
    I work for a small PC Repair shop and recently had a discussion with my boss about offering a "Computer Basics" type class once a month. I know how I would like to do it, but it is the what that I am having trouble with.

So what kind of basic classes would you recommend I offer. Keeping in mind my target audience is more or less computer illiterate.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. icon_cheers.gif

Currently I’m a Basic computer skills volunteer and I have found some good websites that teach computer basics. These sites might help you forum your own ideas on how to teach a class, or how to present the topics.

This site has some great videos on intro to computers.
    BBC - WebWise - a beginner's guide to using the internet

This website has some nice security for beginners videos.
    Video Tutorials | WatchGuard Technologies
    This is a good site for basic security tips

CyberSecurityGuy

A good site with a bunch of security awareness games.
    Games - OnGuard Online

Here’s a good link on what you should teach adult learners concerning computers. Also, it may help in giving you some good ideas on how present computer topics.
    I love this survey and I have used versions of during my teaching at my current computer instructor volunteer gig, this may give you some ideas too.

Minnesota Literacy Council - Teaching Basic Computer Skills

What teaching and learning resources are available in the area of computer literacy?
    When you are planning a basic computer skills class, it is a smart idea to survey your learners to gauge what they know, don't know, and want to learn.

Microsoft has some good sites too!!

Computer and Internet Security | Microsoft Safety & Security Center

The password checker is an interesting site and I have used it before while volunteering to demonstrate how passwords should be strong.

https://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/password-checker.aspx

Change Passwords | Create Strong Passwords | Microsoft Security

Good Luck!! I hope this helps
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    Currently I’m a Basic computer skills volunteer and I have found some good websites that teach computer basics. These sites might help you forum your own ideas on how to teach a class, or how to present the topics.

This site has some great videos on intro to computers.
    BBC - WebWise - a beginner's guide to using the internet

This website has some nice security for beginners videos.
    Video Tutorials | WatchGuard Technologies
    This is a good site for basic security tips

CyberSecurityGuy

A good site with a bunch of security awareness games.
    Games - OnGuard Online

Here’s a good link on what you should teach adult learners concerning computers. Also, it may help in giving you some good ideas on how present computer topics.
    I love this survey and I have used versions of during my teaching at my current computer instructor volunteer gig, this may give you some ideas too.

What teaching and learning resources are available in the area of computer literacy?
    When you are planning a basic computer skills class, it is a smart idea to survey your learners to gauge what they know, don't know, and want to learn.

Microsoft has some good sites too!!

Computer and Internet Security | Microsoft Safety & Security Center

The password checker is an interesting site and I have used it before while volunteering to demonstrate how passwords should be strong.

https://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/password-checker.aspx

Change Passwords | Create Strong Passwords | Microsoft Security

Good Luck!! I hope this helps

icon_eek.gif........ Thank Youbowing.gif
    2017 Goals:
    [x] GCIH