Options

Interview requested I not wear a suit?

-Foxer--Foxer- Member Posts: 151
I have an interview next tuesday, and in the confirmation email they sent they said that they are casual, and to not worry about wearing a suit. I've always worn a suit to interviews, and feel kind of weird not do that.

My question is, what should I wear instead? I was think that I'd maybe just wear slacks and a nice shirt/tie. I'm not really sure though. Any insight would be helpful.

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wear at least slacks and a tie. If they suggested not wearing a suit, wear the next step down from wearing a suit. Whatever you do don't go in dressed casual.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    -Foxer- wrote: »
    I have an interview next tuesday, and in the confirmation email they sent they said that they are casual, and to not worry about wearing a suit. I've always worn a suit to interviews, and feel kind of weird not do that.

My question is, what should I wear instead? I was think that I'd maybe just wear slacks and a nice shirt/tie. I'm not really sure though. Any insight would be helpful.

I'm not going to pretend to know what your employer is thinking, but I would wear a suit.
    blargoe wrote: »
    Whatever you do don't go in dressed casual.

Absolutely!
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    They asked you not to wear a suit, so I wouldn't wear a suit.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ehnde wrote: »
    They asked you not to wear a suit, so I wouldn't wear a suit.
    Yeah, this is a softball.

Business casual is different depending on what part of the country you live in. It could mean khakis and a polo or it could mean dress shirt with no tie.

If it's an interview with Hustler, a birthday suit may be appropriate.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm not going to say one thing or the other but I'll share with you this.

When I interviewed for my desktop support gig, the company was very, very casual. People were wearing jeans that's how casual it was. When someone came to building and were at the security office, we knew who they were...interviewees.

Maybe they want you to be blended in, but again, I don't care if I was going for a job a MckieDees...I've always worn a suit to an interview. It's always better to overdress than underdress, but again, that's just what I would do. You may want to seek clarification from the HR dept on the matter.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Don't wear a suit. You don't want your first impression to be you can't follow simple directions.

I'd go with slacks and a button up, no tie. Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »

When I interviewed for my desktop support gig, the company was very, very casual. People were wearing jeans that's how casual it was. When someone came to building and were at the security office, we knew who they were...interviewees.

Maybe they want you to be blended in, but again, I don't care if I was going for a job a MckieDees...I've always worn a suit to an interview. It's always better to overdress than underdress, but again, that's just what I would do. You may want to seek clarification from the HR dept on the matter.

Same thing at my job. When I do go into the office for work I can normally tell who's there for interviews and who's not. The support end of my job went to a more casual clothing policy where jeans and t-shirts were allowed recently, so it made people really stick out.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • Options
    RockinRobinRockinRobin Member Posts: 165
    -Foxer- wrote: »

He said "don't worry about wearing a suit", not "don't wear a suit". Sounds like he was assuming it would be more comfortable for YOU to not wear one.

I would wear a suit. If he says something about it, I would just say that a suit for an interview is more comfortable for me.

I doubt if they anything about it though. (Except that you look SHARP.)

You want to stand out apart from the rest!
  • Options
    You want to stand out apart from the rest!
    He'd stand out as someone who couldn't follow directions and might not fit in to their culture.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    He'd stand out as someone who couldn't follow directions and might not fit in to their culture.

"and to not worry about wearing a suit"

Does this sound like a suggestion, request or demand to you?
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Don't wear a suit. You don't want your first impression to be you can't follow simple directions.

I'd go with slacks and a button up, no tie. Good luck!

My thoughts, If you were asked not to ware a suit don't do it. I'm not to sure of the language communicated to you, the tread title said requested not to ware a suit.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    "and to not worry about wearing a suit"

Does this sound like a suggestion, request or demand to you?
    It sounds like you're trying to find any possible way to parse that sentence so it fits in to what you want it to mean.

The thing people are looking for most during the interview, once the required technical ability has been demonstrated, is an employee who will fit in. They came out and said "we are a casual place, don't worry about wearing a suit".

What message are you sending if you show up in a suit?

I don't follow directions.
    I didn't bother reading your directions.
    I can't step outside of my comfort zone easily.

This might be the kind of place where you show up in a shirt like this to make an impression. You'd have to do your proper research on the company first. I say all of this as Mr conservative interview guy who once showed up to an interview to unload delivery trucks in a shirt and tie.

I wouldn't show up in a suit here.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    This almost seems like a test to see how much candidates will overthink the email instructions.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
  • Options
    Fair enough. For interviews, I just like to always dress/act like the owner/president of the company is in the lobby. But that's just me. Carry on.
  • Options
    nhan.ngnhan.ng Member Posts: 184

This.

they said dont do it. Dont do eetttt :D
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Slacks and a shirt/tie.
  • Options
    nhan.ngnhan.ng Member Posts: 184
    meeh. I say show up in a dress icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd go with slacks and a button up, no tie.

Seems like a reasonable suggestion. This is always a touchy area, because you are nervous enough at an interview, without having to worry about being in a fashion show.icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    Go in a nice shirt and a pair of slacks. If you come to find out it's some sort of stupid mind game test where they actually did want you to wear a suit, then who wants to work with those jacka$$es anyway.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ryan82 wrote: »
    Go in a nice shirt and a pair of slacks. If you come to find out it's some sort of stupid mind game test where they actually did want you to wear a suit, then who wants to work with those jacka$$es anyway.

+1 on this.
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ryan82 wrote: »
    If you come to find out it's some sort of stupid mind game test where they actually did want you to wear a suit, then who wants to work with those jacka$$es anyway.

Nah, just laugh it off and say you are actually wearing a virtual suit!:)
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Button-up and slacks sound like a reasonable answer.
    Fair enough. For interviews, I just like to always dress/act like the owner/president of the company is in the lobby. But that's just me. Carry on.

What if the owner likes a polo and slacks? I'd go with the recommendation of the interviewers.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Like the others, I'd follow the recommendation of not wearing the suit. I wouldn't go the entire opposite and show up in shorts/jeans and a ThinkGeek t-shirt either. I'd still dress nicely, but a little more conservatively. A nice pair of slacks with a button-up is rarely going to be considered a bad thing.
  • Options
    ubermichubermich Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you want the absolute answer, you'll have to do some research. Drive by the place about 5 or 6 PM, as most of the regulars are getting off work, and look at what they're wearing. If everyone leaving the place looks like they do ALL their shopping at ThinkGeek, then you'll know showing up in a suit is probably not ideal. If everyone leaving looks like they care about their appearance and most of the guys are just missing a jacket and/or tie, then you'll know your standard needs to be higher.
    As with any decent job, the amount of research you put into the company before the interview is mandatory -- and not just stock results and recent news.

P.S. If you want to have it really spelled out for you, try to drive by as management is leaving (4-ish at most places I've been, but closer to 6 if the company's management team is legit). Pick out the best 3 dressed (assuming they are similar, not 2 guys in jeans and 1 guy in a tux) and just barely one-up the best of the 3. For example, if the best three are wearing nice button-down shirts and slacks without a tie - add the tie. If they are all wearing a tie, I would probably 1-up in quality.

$0.02
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    N2IT wrote: »
    I'm not going to pretend to know what your employer is thinking, but I would wear a suit.

So you would directly contradict what a potential employer is asking of you? This sounds like they are trying to express the company's culture. I agree that I would not go in to the interview in jeans, but I would not ignore what I was told in the email either.
  • Options
    lochmoighlochmoigh Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »

amen! if for no other reason than to show that you know how to appear business ready if the need arises.
    Currently Reading:
    ICND2 Official Exam Guide
    Second Edition Wendell Odom
    CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide: Exam 640-802
    31 days Before your CCNA Allan Johnson
    Network Warrior: Everything you need to know that wasn't on the CCNA exam Gary A. Donahue

Looking for IT openings in East TN
  • Options
    terryferaterryfera Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I had a couple of interviews at a place with a similar mentality towards wearing a suit to interviews. For the first interview I wore a suit and for the second they said I didn't have to worry about being as formal. The next interview I went in wearing a nice pair of slacks, a dress shirt and a tie. When I got there everyone was in shorts/flip flops/home is 127.0.0.1 shirts. I roll up my sleeves and loosened the tie just a bit to look a bit more casual. They still poked a little fun at me wearing a tie but it was all in good fun :)

You can't go wrong with slacks/shirt/tie for an adaptable casual interview outfit.
  • Options
    -Foxer--Foxer- Member Posts: 151
    Thanks for all the comments. I ended up wearing slacks, and a nice shirt with no tie. I think I probably spent too much time thinking about it. The people there were actually wearing jeans, and button-up shirts. Overall I think the interview went pretty good, and my cloths were probably fine.