Options

TechExams Chess Club

hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
I would never thought I would see some TE folks want to play chess, so I decided to go ahead and start a chess club here to see how many people are interested in playing. I created my screenname, because of my passion to play chess. We can either play on Yahoo or it can be your choice. Mobile apps are also in consideration. I have Chess with Friends app. PM me if you want to play a game or two (preferably in the evening).

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I play on Chess.com. Have not had a game in a few months. Usually I play 3 days per move "correspondence" style. Same name on Chess.com. I also have a membership to PlayChess.com from the makers of ChessBase products like Fritz.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I prefer to play chess "live" whether it's in person, or with some dude thousands of miles away online. If I were to play "correspondence," I'd probably get cute and say let's do it snail mail. Turn an hour-long game into a year and a half. LMAO!! Then writing in chess notation...yeah that's fun....lmao. For me it's all about the live moment of moving the pieces. Of course I can read chess notation and write it, but I can't see correspondence being "fun."

I do have a yahoo account and I'd play yahoo chess, but I'd have to be in the mood to play. Right now I'm reading this board, and prepping my server for three VMs for the 70-642 labs on my new MS press book. I got a few weeks before I pass this sucker. However, I do the app that Bl8ckr0uter suggested. When I'm ready I'll hit folks up to play. I have to not feel tired to play.
  • Options
    Well, it's not via email. You move on the board and your opponent receives a message that you have moved. It's just like "live" chess but it takes longer. You can even enter conditional moves. I personally refuse to play anything faster than G/40. So each player has 40 minutes on the clock. I just don't enjoy fast chess. Which means I nearly never play live because I have no time.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Well, it's not via email. You move on the board and your opponent receives a message that you have moved. It's just like "live" chess but it takes longer. You can even enter conditional moves. I personally refuse to play anything faster than G/40. So each player has 40 minutes on the clock. I just don't enjoy fast chess. Which means I nearly never play live because I have no time.

I understand now...I was just envisioning the good ol' days when folks would correspond moves to each other on paper....I might have to play your way, because I would really have to find time to just play with someone...not to mention wait on someone's schedule.

I will have my people contact your people on this matter. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    Anyone up for a game? I'm getting back into the game after about 3 years of only playing exceptionally casually. Prepping for a tournament come November.
  • Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Aren't we nerds enough already?
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Nope. Not until you are knighted. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Too bad it's not a Go club, that I would have been really interested in! Not that I would have had the time to participate though, so I guess it is just as well.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    you know any good go sites? Always wanted to get in to the game.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    Devil, go to Chess.com. They also have an android app. I played a number of unrated training games with BlackRouter there. We could do the same.

You can play live or "online" which is correspondence style; which is what I prefer as I rarely have an hour to sit down to a real game.

Here are some good resources:
    Play Chess Online - Free Chess Games at Chess.com
    Chess Tactics Server
    Chess News, Chess Programs, Databases - Play Chess Online
    Chess Cafe - Pay special attention to the Novice Nook
    Novice Nook
    http://www.geocities.ws/goodchessclub/real.txt
    http://www.chesscafe.com/text/heisman10.pdf

I can make some suggestions on books as well.
  • Options
    4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    I haven't played Chess in so long icon_rolleyes.gif But this sounds like a great idea and lots of fun. I'll keep it in mind for a non-study night :D
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• Options
    Sorry I meant a on-line site for "GO", I play chess at gameknot.com (although haven't for a while :) ) Just an average player but really should get back in to it, mostly corospondance chess when i do play.

might have a look at chess.com though as it seem lots of people are on it
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    Oh, somehow I completely read over the word go in your sentence...
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i think it would be cool if we had an irc server and/or a old school telnet bbs with a mud on it
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I've always liked goproblems.com as it can get you the basics and some good drills and problem solving without requiring a live opponent or a protracted game. gobase.org is pretty good as well. I haven't found anywhere good online to play against an opponent though. Too many players that drop when the game doesn't go their way. I'd love to find a site that does that "correspondence" style for Go though, like what RobertKaucher describes.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    Demonfurbie, have you seen this? Google BBS Terminal
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    yea ive seen it ... good memories
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    ram1101ram1101 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    chess player here as well i havent play in a while
  • Options
    GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Anybody have a rating here? Mine is 1770, but I haven't played in years.
  • Options
    the_hutch wrote: »
    Aren't we nerds enough already?

Last night I had a dream that I arrived late to a tournament and I forgot my board and chess clock... Talk about nerd nightmares.
  • Options
    GoodBishop wrote: »
    Anybody have a rating here? Mine is 1770, but I haven't played in years.

i was rated about 1500 one upon a time. But its been a long time and I have never been a serious player, don't have the concentration ;)