Options

When or why would you get a PhD in cyber security/ info assurance

YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
I was thinking about this the other day. Once I get my masters, is there any reason to get a PhD in the security/ info assurance field? Do certain jobs ask for a PhD?

thanks for the help

Comments

• Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    if you want to teach at a university this would make sense.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    geek4godgeek4god Member Posts: 187
    My school has a DSc in IA and it is targeted more towards IA policy and research..
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I was thinking about this the other day. Once I get my masters, is there any reason to get a PhD in the security/ info assurance field? Do certain jobs ask for a PhD?

thanks for the help

There could be a number of reasons, but one more might be if you act an expert witness in court.
  • Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A PhD is intended for research which goes hand in hand with teaching. I intend to earn my PhD in IS from GMU so I can research AI based distributed dynamic security controls. That is many years away though unfortunately, after years of working in the field.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Having a PhD might get you excluded from a lot of jobs because PhDs are seen as very academic and research-oriented only, and wanting hefty salaries.
    There could be a number of reasons, but one more might be if you act an expert witness in court.
    In Europe, an expert witness must have a PhD in their subject area(s) of expertise, but in the USA the qualifications are much less. However, having a PhD on your CV doesn't hurt your credibility.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Having a PhD might get you excluded from a lot of jobs because PhDs are seen as very academic and research-oriented only, and wanting hefty salaries.

In Europe, an expert witness must have a PhD in their subject area(s) of expertise, but in the USA the qualifications are much less. However, having a PhD on your CV doesn't hurt your credibility.

That is a very interesting. I was unaware that this was a requirement in Europe.
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Wow, thanks everybody for the insight. Its safe to say I will not be getting my PhD haha. I can definitely see how the PhD can look negative, thanks JD.