Options

Network Warrior

EildorEildor Member Posts: 444
Would it be ok to read this book, Network Warrior, after CCNA, before starting on CCNP? Or would it be better to read it after CCNP to avoid confusion?

What do people think about this book? Has quite a few reviews on Amazon, and was updated last month. Looking at the table of contents it seems to cover technologies employers expect you to know like MPLS, VoIP, QoS, Firewall -- although I'm not sure how deep it goes (probably not very deep).

I really want to move on from CCNA and learn new things. I feel ready to take the CCNA exam, just need to wait for my teacher to pass me on netacad so I can get my discount voucher! :)

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    After CCNA but before CCNP would be the sweet spot. That is exactly where the book is meant to be used.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with reading the book even before you take the CCNA if you wanted.

The books may be targeted at certain audiences, but it's not a pre-req. I was reading CCIE level texts while preparing for my CCxP exams, so I can't see any harm in reading Professional level texts for CCNA prep, other than scaring people away when they realize how much there is to know, and how little of it they know :)
  • Options
    bigmantenorbigmantenor Member Posts: 233
    This will be my next read after my CCNA, because a lot of people on here recommend it before the CCNP. Looks like a good read :D.
  • Options
    Cool, I'll spend a couple of weeks reading that after CCNA then before starting on CCNP :)
  • Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You may want to brush through it for stuff you are having a hard time with. I found some of the material in the book easier to understand then the Cisco Press books.
  • Options
    What other books would people here recommend I read? Not necessarily for certification preparation, more interested in preparation for the real world.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Eildor , you couldnt ask for a better book to read after your CCNA before you take the CCNP. Hands down Network Warrior has the best insight into real world technologies, scenarios, and explanations! This is why this book is so highly recommended, you get a feel of what technologies an engineer works with on a daily basis. Its like having an older brother, mentor, engineer you can always ask questions except its all laid out in a book for you.

After your CCNP studies i would jump into CCNA Security, you will learn a lot of valuable security topics that a CCNP engineer would normally work with on a daily basis.

I would also recommend the CCDA/CCDP track once you are done with the CCNP and CCNA Security. Learn how to use the technologies you know how to configure with the best efficiency designs. icon_thumright.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    I think I'll go ahead and order the book now then :D
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good choice, might I add that the flow of the book is not like reading a technical manual that some cert guides tend to feel like. This has a humanistic flow if that means anything icon_lol.gif

Enjoy the read, I sure did! I read it after i finished my CCNP and i still learned a lot!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    chrisone wrote: »
    Good choice, might I add that the flow of the book is not like reading a technical manual that some cert guides tend to feel like. This has a humanistic flow if that means anything icon_lol.gif

Enjoy the read, I sure did! I read it after i finished my CCNP and i still learned a lot!

Thank God for that! I'm at that point now where I can no longer read any of my CCNA literature, it's just so boring! I'm hoping that's just due to going over the same topics again and again, otherwise I have no chance with CCNP.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The 2nd edition just came out in May, make sure you get the new one

:)
  • Options
    GOZCUGOZCU Member Posts: 234
    I am currently reading the Network Warrior and also scheduled my ICND1 to 2 SEPTEMBER 2011. I am studying from Todd Lammle's(CCNA) book ( which is very useful) and reading the related chapters also from the Network Warrior.
  • Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    I bought the kindle edition recently. I've read bits and pieces but I think I'll try and read it cover to cover now. I'll probably skip some parts or at least just skim parts but other parts I think will help me in some areas that I didn't grasp as well asI would like during my CCNA studies.
  • Options
    Netwurk wrote: »
    The 2nd edition just came out in May, make sure you get the new one

:)

Yup, ordered the 2nd edition -- should get it by the end of the week hopefully.