Preparing for 2nd job [advice needed]

kingslayerkingslayer Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
-- due to the nature of this post I will omit some details for anonimity --

Im a CS graduate, been working in a support role for the past 9 months - part of a small team supporting a bespoke solution for around 40 clients.

Alot of the experience Ive gained has been in these bespoke applications, but I have also gained alot of experience in SQL server, windows server and general software troubleshooting. As well as non-technical things like remote/onsite support, writing technical documents, organising new software rollouts/upgrades etc..

I plan to be at this job until at least next August, after that Im going to try and get a job in NYC (currently based in london).

I guess what Im trying to figure out right now is what kind of role I should aim for. I plan to start applying in January giving me 6 months to prepare and do everything possible to improve my chances of landing a job.

would appreciate any insight from people who have made the jump from support to other areas and also non-Americans who have experience getting a job in the US.
2011 Goals: 70-433 | 70-432

Comments

• kingslayerkingslayer Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    any advice :)
  • TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    I would say that when the time comes and you are looking for a job in NYC, start applying for anything IT related.

If you want to continue doing the kind of work you do now, look for jobs that have a description and title that seems to suit you.

The job descriptions are usually the best way to see what the job actually includes. (Titles can stray from what would be the "norm"). But even then, you might get hired on as a Sys Admin and end up doing all Networking. Best to ask during the interview. I usually say "What's a typical day like in this position".
  • kingslayerkingslayer Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm unsure on what my next step should be and how I can prepare for it. When i move on from this next year, I want to 'move up' but because my job is not a typical desktop support type role (read original post) I don't really feel like I'm on any specific path.

I'm considering studying for the 70-433 SQL server development this cert builds on alot of the kind of SQL support tasks i do day to day.. And I guess it could lead to some kind of SQL support/report writing type role..

Though i dont see too many of those type of jobs listed..

Thoughts? Based on what I've shared so far, what would you recommend I do to prepare for the next step in my career?