3550 switch and SSH

SdotLowSdotLow Member Posts: 239
Having problems getting SSH set up on my 3550 switch. I've ran through the set up on the CBT nugget video and I'm going crazy.

1) username and password both set (no my password does not have a space behind it, checked already ! :P )

2) domain name set. I just created some random domain name, I don't see how this would effect it.

3) SSH version set

4) RSA keys generated

5) I have transport input telnet ssh set.

I've used both putty and tera term. I've checked to make sure it's set to SSH v2.

I've gone through and redone it atleast 5 times. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong or if I'm using equipment with a different set up than he is.

Any suggestions? I'm going nuts.

Comments

• ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    'login local' under vty?
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    what's the actual error? Does it answer on ssh and just not authenticate you, or does it refuse the ssh connection?

I can assure you that SSH does indeed work on a 3550 :)

stark#sh ssh
    %No SSHv1 server connections running.
    Connection Version Mode Encryption Hmac State Username
    0 2.0 IN aes128-cbc hmac-md5 Session started dayne
    0 2.0 OUT aes128-cbc hmac-md5 Session started dayne
    stark#sh ver | i 3550
    Cisco IOS Software, C3550 Software (C3550-IPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.2(52)SE, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)
    ROM: Bootstrap program is C3550 boot loader
    System image file is "flash:c3550-ipservicesk9-mz.122-52.SE/c3550-ipservicesk9-mz.122-52.SE.bin"
    Cisco WS-C3550-48 (PowerPC) processor (revision Q0) with 65526K/8192K bytes of memory.
    Model number: WS-C3550-48-SMI

So it's a configuration issue somewhere.
  • SdotLowSdotLow Member Posts: 239
    'login local' under vty?

Well this solved it. Went through the login switches under line vty and saw local, keyed it in and it worked. Now I just need to find where in the video I missed this step and/or the logic behind setting it to "local".

Thanks so much!

Edit: I don't see where he set login to local, and he was able to SSH in. The last #show run, that he ran prior to setting up the RSA keys had his vty set to login, not login local. I'm confused now ;x
  • OperatorOperator Member Posts: 8 ■■■□□□□□□□
    'login local' under vty?

If anyone is curious, I just had the same problem also.

CBTnuggets video skips this part.....
    Someday down the road.. CE|H